• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Negativity Towards Trophy Hunters

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
I just wanted to start a thread to essentially vent. I want to remind people to not lose focus on their passion due to outside opinions and other people's beliefs. Not everyone will see eye to eye or find a common ground and I see a lot of negative kickback between forums and Instagram between fellow sportsmen.

My main topic is trophy hunting but with that I want to cover other goals as well. I consider myself a rounded hunter but my main focus most of the year is trophy hunting. Why you ask? Because early season I shoot everything past spots and fill my freezer in a zone that allows me to do so. That is the meat hunter in me. Once that part of my season fills my freezer I am full steam at locking down a big buck.

Nothing gives me more of a rush than playing the chess game with a mature whitetail on public land. I love the approach of figuring out a bucks brain in his own element, slipping in on him, and closing the deal without him knowing I am there. The 2 bucks I killed last year I had pegged down and hunted them hard until they slipped up. Even the little 7 pointer I shot I consider a trophy because I put him to checkmate. To me, it is more rewarding to figure out a specific deer then it is to just read sign, go in, and shoot a nice buck you've never seen before because the stars aligned. That's just me.

Just because trophy hunting is my main goal does not mean I don't pay attention to meat hunting and herd management. I do this as well.

Now my opinion might be different than other's. I personally have no attraction to food plot/private hunting land hunting. (This does not include untouched private land that is natural, I am talking maintained land designed for hunting.) I just don't find the excitement and the "hunt" part in it. Other's may, but it's not for me. I would never hate on someone's goals. That's why I like reading @Nutterbuster 's posts, the guy has his way of life figured out and doesn't care about anything else. Gold. Stay true pony boy.

Whether you kill skippers or hunt monarchs, that's up to you. I just like to hear the good ol hunting stories and leave it at that. Good luck to all this season, where ever it leads you. I hope others chime in and share their goals as well. We are all outdoorsmen, stay true to yourself and dismiss the rest.

SNIPERBBB

Feb 19, 2020
SE Ohio
I don't think it's the beliefs that are what's causing the problems. It's the actions. I think farmers are starting to realize the consequences of those actions are hurting them more than what can be helped by that lease check

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
Amen. My goal is to make it the woods. Anything beyond that is gravy.

I love being out in the timber and could care less how others chose to hunt. Everyone would do well to have some grace and understand we are not all of the same mindset and do not all have the same opportunity.

And something that is not said often enough... that's ok. Do what makes YOU happy within the bounds of the law.

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Oct 7, 2019
MN
I think the uninitiated tend to look at trophy hunters and equate it with high fences. And high fences with lack of fair chase. I mean, obviously its different. But I think its subconscious.
Deer hunting programs have a big part of that I think, they set unrealistic expectations and dream hunts that are mostly unattainable by your average joe.

My goals are pretty nonexistent. Personally I just enjoy spending time in the woods regardless of whether I see a deer or not, a deer is just a bonus. I spent countless hours as a kid in the woods, and have found that as an adult the fall hunting season is my zen, what keeps me in balance

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
I just wanted to start a thread to essentially vent. I want to remind people to not lose focus on their passion due to outside opinions and other people's beliefs. Not everyone will see eye to eye or find a common ground and I see a lot of negative kickback between forums and Instagram between fellow sportsmen.

My main topic is trophy hunting but with that I want to cover other goals as well. I consider myself a rounded hunter but my main focus most of the year is trophy hunting. Why you ask? Because early season I shoot everything past spots and fill my freezer in a zone that allows me to do so. That is the meat hunter in me. Once that part of my season fills my freezer I am full steam at locking down a big buck.

Nothing gives me more of a rush than playing the chess game with a mature whitetail on public land. I love the approach of figuring out a bucks brain in his own element, slipping in on him, and closing the deal without him knowing I am there. The 2 bucks I killed last year I had pegged down and hunted them hard until they slipped up. Even the little 7 pointer I shot I consider a trophy because I put him to checkmate. To me, it is more rewarding to figure out a specific deer then it is to just read sign, go in, and shoot a nice buck you've never seen before because the stars aligned. That's just me.

Just because trophy hunting is my main goal does not mean I don't pay attention to meat hunting and herd management. I do this as well.

Now my opinion might be different than other's. I personally have no attraction to food plot/private hunting land hunting. (This does not include untouched private land that is natural, I am talking maintained land designed for hunting.) I just don't find the excitement and the "hunt" part in it. Other's may, but it's not for me. I would never hate on someone's goals. That's why I like reading @Nutterbuster 's posts, the guy has his way of life figured out and doesn't care about anything else. Gold. Stay true pony boy.

Whether you kill skippers or hunt monarchs, that's up to you. I just like to hear the good ol hunting stories and leave it at that. Good luck to all this season, where ever it leads you. I hope others chime in and share their goals as well. We are all outdoorsmen, stay true to yourself and dismiss the rest.

Could not have put into words any better.
i have even come across groups and certain members of groups starting false rumors or telling untrue stories only to make followers distrust or not follow.
in the end most of the people like this are jealous from some kind of success.
ive been treated in this way myself in the past few years.
i do think words or meanings of statements are very often described or taken in a wrong way.
My problem is this.
ever since the dispute between The beast, and the dquisto’s its almost like you need to choose a side. ( which i refuse to)
Me and Dan have a few differences on some content and a purchase i made but i was never affiliated with anyone.
I do what i do for fun nothing else.
then i then noticed after the whole Infalt saddle video their was some raised eyebrows on him which how it was done was probably the wrong way to do it especially with a brand new saddle guy.
Which i raised mine too.
then you have the guys like an individual on here which is an older gentleman who kicks people down here then goes to another forum and kicks this forum down. Lol.
This crap is why i took a break from forums.
it gets toxic
But anyone ever wants to chat, not be judged, wants an opinion on something.
im always open just Pm me
Guys who know me know. There is no more genuine honest guy than myself. I base everything on that. As should all of us.
as to @Nutterbuster. I have had a few conversations with him snd i agree one of the most down to earth, funny, ball busting guys on here. I love that guy.
keep on being you , do and use what works for you and just ignore the bs its everywhere

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Oct 30, 2019
Brunswick, Maine

I agree with everything you said and do the same thing. Fill my freezer first and then try to kill my dream buck. Must be something in the water around this neck of the woods :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: There are a whole lot of people that trash "trophy hunting" that would most certainly shoot the big buck instead of the doe if they were standing side by side. I would day to say most hunters. They are called hypocrites or maybe something else that I can't say on here. Regardless, if you aren't breaking any laws then don't give a second thought to what others might say. It's not only none of their business it is a free country for now. As for @Nutterbuster, he's just some nut job redneck that I think got on this forum by accident so pay him no mind:rolleyes:

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
Everyone I know on lease land or public land kills freezer deer early season and then aim for trophy bucks the rest of the time. I don't understand the "only freezer meat" or "only trophy" mantra. The way the OP described it seems very common in all the whitetail hunting circles I have been around.

Reactions: woodsdog2

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
Everyone I know on lease land or public land kills freezer deer early season and then aim for trophy bucks the rest of the time. I don't understand the "only freezer meat" or "only trophy" mantra. The way the OP described it seems very common in all the whitetail hunting circles I have been around.
I guess my standpoint was aimed more towards the glorified social media aspect. Everyone I know does the same thing but I see a lot of people trashing others on social media and it irritates me for some unknown reason. Just wanted to hear the people's voice on the topic that's all!

Reactions: MA_PAdeerslayer

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
Could not have put into words any better.
i have even come across groups and certain members of groups starting false rumors or telling untrue stories only to make followers distrust or not follow.
in the end most of the people like this are jealous from some kind of success.
ive been treated in this way myself in the past few years.
i do think words or meanings of statements are very often described or taken in a wrong way.
My problem is this.
ever since the dispute between The beast, and the dquisto’s its almost like you need to choose a side. ( which i refuse to)
Me and Dan have a few differences on some content and a purchase i made but i was never affiliated with anyone.
I do what i do for fun nothing else.
then i then noticed after the whole Infalt saddle video their was some raised eyebrows on him which how it was done was probably the wrong way to do it especially with a brand new saddle guy.
Which i raised mine too.
then you have the guys like an individual on here which is an older gentleman who kicks people down here then goes to another forum and kicks this forum down. Lol.
This crap is why i took a break from forums.
it gets toxic
But anyone ever wants to chat, not be judged, wants an opinion on something.
im always open just Pm me
Guys who know me know. There is no more genuine honest guy than myself. I base everything on that. As should all of us.
as to @Nutterbuster. I have had a few conversations with him snd i agree one of the most down to earth, funny, ball busting guys on here. I love that guy.
keep on being you , do and use what works for you and just ignore the bs its everywhere
I agree with the toxicity. I see a lot of people all over the internet, this place included that are just being genuine and looking for input and guys chime in and pick a post apart and try to knock people down for no reason except to just be a P.I.T.A. I guess the original post kind of was fueled by seeing that stuff too. You and myself have talked before on here, you seem face value, I got no complaints!

Reactions: Robert loper

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
I don’t think it’s the beliefs or the actions. I think it’s the trophy hunter themselves. The only way someone knows whether or not you’re a trophy is if you tell them you’re a trophy hunter……over and over and over and over…….
Yes we all know that one guy! The 1 upper. I have friends that do that but it's usually in good fun. It's typically the weight over antler score debate and who has the better of the two! @DroptineKrazy knows the weight debate up here in Maine, not to many people look at the rack in these parts. They see a big bodied animal and go gaga.

Just to clarify my "trophy" definition isn't based on rack or body weight, it's more about finding a mature buck and beating him at his own game. The story and closure is my trophy.

Still Kicking

SH Member
Jul 22, 2020
Central Illinois
Not to trash any form of hunting but I believe Trophy is too often related to horns. I've personally hunted a few mature does that topped any buck I ever encountered in relation to "savvy" . Hunt what you wish to and how ever you wish to as long as it's ethical and legal, I wish you all Good Hunting!