• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Neoprene topped rubber boots

Arrowhead1

Since I started hunting ,I have always worn knee high rubber boots. The thought was for scent control. Keep the inside fresh with spray or baking soda. Most bow hunter in this area wear the same. In south jersey there is a lot of lowland wet areas, and swamps. Most rubber boots today have neoprene uppers. Anyone think neoprene doesn't contain scent like the rubber bottoms do. Even though I wear rubber boots I have had a couple of insidents when deer have not liked it when they crossed my path. Even though I will try to clean the boots in streams, creeks or tall grass walking in. I don't wear boots inside or in non hunting areas.

I’ve never noticed a difference between a full rubber boot and a boot with neoprene on the top. Only thing I would point out is the neoprene top tends to get ripped up on briars when walking through thick areas, not sure if that pertains to you or not.

I have often wondered about that too. Have never had a deer spook from my entry path that I know of but I'd be willing to bet it doesn't contain scent like the rubber does.

I’ve worn both and never had any issues with either. The rubber ones I have now smelled pretty rubbery when I first got them. One thing I do though is spray raccoon or fox urine on the heel as I walk in. I buy the stuff from trapper supply stores so it pretty strong. Deer seem to be calm when they come in and I’ve had them follow my trail too. On the downside I’ve had skunks and coyotes follow the scent trail too!

Back