• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Never give up, keep flinging

Tknapp

Today I harvested my first saddle buck. A descent 8 point. The hunt was pretty wild. I was running late on 11/11/23. I got into an area where I knew some bucks were cruising based on a hunt a few days before. I climbed the worst tree in the woods, but the only tree that had a few open shooting lanes. It was crooked in all directions. So I finally get set up as I’m able to see 50 yards pretty clear. As 8 o’clock rolls around I catch a deer cruising thru a few pines and some thick saplings. It’s traveling across the hill 70 yards from me with no chance of coming closer. As it dips out of sight I give a 1-2 second grunt followed by an aggressive snortwheeze. He turns on a dime and comes straight for me. As he closes in to 20 yards I draw. He proceeds to walk thru a few openings and stop in a perfect opening at 12 yards. I breathe in and on my way out I squeeze and release what I thought was a perfect shot until it skips over his back and I see a twig hanging that had sent my arrow over his back. He startles and takes a few steps back. At this point I think it’s over. He turns and does a 180 heading the same direction as before but this time at 18 yards. I loaded another arrow and draw. He stops in a gap and I release mid breath as before. This shot looks good but at the last second takes a turn and hits him dead in the guts. His back arches and tail tucks and he walks back to 25 yards and stands broad side. Not being satisfied with the gut shot I load another arrow. I Draw and take my time to put a perfect shot to put him down. As the arrow is about to impact it deflects hitting him square in the shoulder and hitting spine and dropping him. I then proceed to get down and go out a final fourth arrow thru the vitals at point blank as I hate to see an animal suffer.

Attachments

• IMG_6164.png
    IMG_6164.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Hey, congratulations! Why to stay calm and work through that very tough situation!

Thats tough....i live in the land of limbs and out here people kick their selves constantly for not taking shots they realised they could have made cuz we only get 1 tag a year and not always a chance.....its tricky.nice persistance and good mercy homesScreenshot_20231106_081628_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Great job and congratulations.

Prior to this season, I had never shot a second arrow at a deer, unless it was a spine shot and I was finishing a deer that wasn't going anywhere.

I am really bad about stopping a deer with a mouth sound and waiting until they stop to shoot. I tend to rush and shoot while they are still moving, leading to a gut hit. I plan to shoot more does to get better at this. The rut makes me nervous because of this because the bucks are always moving.

Anyways, I gut shot a buck this year at 20 yards. He ran and stopped and stayed still, and then I put a good shot on him. I didn't immediately grab for a second arrow, which I need to train myself to do on shots like that. He stood there for a little while before I was like "might as well!" and I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
Easy to keep at it. Not how you drew it up, but you got yourself a nice buck.
I love the picture of your baby in the background too!
We wanted to pull him out to see it, but it was too cold for him. since birth his favorite thing to look at and play with are my european mount and sheds.

Back