• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New 2018 Platform Options

SH4896

With some talk lately of new platform options coming, Wild Edge and a few others. Is it better to wait and see what comes out, or will it be to late for the 2018 season. Meaning, should I just make a platform now, or is it a strong possibility that the new platforms options will make it to market and will be available by next bow season.

Any insider info?

I hope the saddlehunter team designed platform will be out before hunting season but there is a long way to go on that so I wouldn't guarantee anything. I wouldn't hold my breath on any of the other options. It seems like every year there are platform options that will be coming out, then they never make it to the market. I would have something in place so that you can guarantee you will be ready to go and you can always upgrade at a future date.

I hope the saddlehunter team designed platform will be out before hunting season but there is a long way to go on that so I wouldn't guarantee anything. I wouldn't hold my breath on any of the other options. It seems like every year there are platform options that will be coming out, then they never make it to the market. I would have something in place so that you can guarantee you will be ready to go and you can always upgrade at a future date.

I just made a post about this sorry didn't see this one prior. What is the hold up? I have been researching and it really does not seem like it would be a hard project to DIY. I could use some help if anyone knows of a silicon molding rubber that would stand up to the heat needed to cast aluminum. I used to do a ton of molding and casting animal parts when I had my taxidermy business and I am pretty sure I could sculpt the platform, mold it and then cast it. I just don't have the expertise on what products are out there. If someone can point me in the right direction on the rubber molding material - I might lean forward on my own design.

Reactions: PJC

Thats what I was afraid of, will look at other options then. Thanks!

I just made a post about this sorry didn't see this one prior. What is the hold up? I have been researching and it really does not seem like it would be a hard project to DIY. I could use some help if anyone knows of a silicon molding rubber that would stand up to the heat needed to cast aluminum. I used to do a ton of molding and casting animal parts when I had my taxidermy business and I am pretty sure I could sculpt the platform, mold it and then cast it. I just don't have the expertise on what products are out there. If someone can point me in the right direction on the rubber molding material - I might lean forward on my own design.

Don't most use sand to cast aluminum?

I am tempted to try the foam sand casting method now. Was going to make the model using insulating foamboard for the main part then glue on regular foam where needed.

Sorry @DaveT1963 I didn't realize I was posting on your post. Can't help on the molding rubber as I am not familiar with the process. With your experience in casting would you foresee a problem with sand casting such a design?

Back