• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Climbing Platform

jbogg

With saddle hunting spreading like wildfire it seems that there is lots of opportunity for entrepreneurs and those inclined to build a better mouse trap. I am brand new to this arena, but I have decided to use the Lonewolf Handclimber as my method of climbing as well as my platform. It works OK, but is far from perfect and there is lots of room for improvement. In the Southeast we have plenty of telephone pole straight oaks, Hickory‘s, poplar‘s… making this an ideal lightweight solution. I would love to see one of the companies within the industry develop a foot climber/platform specific to Saddle Hunters. I think it’s a great opportunity for somebody to be first in with this concept.

Same here. When I ordered my HC from LW I told the guy people were using them for this exact reason. He said he’d pass it on. I bet once LW notices their HC top demand is unusually higher than normal they’ll get back in the lab.

I’ve never used one what is the issue with using the hand climber? What needs improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The hand climber top is awesome. Probably my second favorite way to climb. But it does require the bolt mod to function without having issues. If I were to design one it would come not requiring a bolt mod and maybe 75% of its current width. More compact, lighter, more user friendly. Even better if it came with a way to get it rock solid to the tree without a ratchet or ocb

I’ve never used one what is the issue with using the hand climber? What needs improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The arm angles are too low which makes you have to readjust mid climb as the tree tapers, usually 2-3 times minimum even with the HC set at head height and an aider from the start. I’ve done the Adreana123 bolt mod and now don’t have to adjust til around 12-13 feet.
Once at hunting height it will wobble from side pressure, that to me needs the most attention. I’ve tried multiple straps but can’t get any as tight as a ratchet...but then thats extra weight and noisy plus you have to squat or kneel to fasten strap.
It’s a great climbing method just needs some fine tuning. I can now get to 12-13 feet in 2 minutes before I need to adjust belt. it’s the securing the platform part that takes more time and is sketchy.
Arm angles, platform securing, dedicated foot straps, platform tether in case it falls, a way to keep arms down to prevent folding. When you apply these mods it’s probably the fastest safest easiest way to climb a climber friendly tree. You’re always tethered in with a solid large platform to stand on
Someone please make one of these with the above mentioned adjustments. DIY is fun but I want something more commercial.

Last edited:
The arm angles are too low which makes you have to readjust mid climb as the tree tapers, usually 2-3 times minimum even with the HC set at head height and an aider from the start. I’ve done the Adreana123 bolt mod and don’t have to adjust til around 12-13 feet.
Once at hunting height it will wobble from side pressure, that to me needs the most attention. I’ve tried multiple straps but can’t get any as tight as a ratchet...but then thats extra weight and noisy plus you have to squat or kneel to fasten strap.
It’s a great climbing method just needs some fine tuning. I can now get to 12-13 feet in 2 minutes before I need to adjust belt. it’s the securing the platform part that takes more time and is sketchy.
Arm angles, platform securing, dedicated foot straps, platform tether in case it falls, a way to keep arms down to prevent folding. When you apply these mods it’s probably the fastest safest easiest way to climb a climber friendly tree. You’re always tethered in with a solid large platform to stand on
Someone please make one these with the above mentioned adjustments. DIY is fun but I want something more commercial.

To make the ratchet part easier I sit in my saddle and reach down and grab the HC and pull it up where it's resting on my knee. Then I weave my ratchet strap through the bottom of the platform then around the tree and ratchet it down. Then I just step up onto the platform and adjust my tether. Just something that works for me

To make the ratchet part easier I sit in my saddle and reach down and grab the HC and pull it up where it's resting on my knee. Then I weave my ratchet strap through the bottom of the platform then around the tree and ratchet it down. Then I just step up onto the platform and adjust my tether. Just something that works for me
I tried that but felt uneasy because I was still climbing up onto the platform at 20 feet as opposed to stepping onto it like when you adjust the belt during climbing. I know the ratchet makes it rock solid but there’s always that thought in the back of your head. I did use a cam buckle strap and cinched the belts together(put more belt teeth on tree) along with a ratchet at the platform base... overkill probably but absolutely no platform movement at all.

The arm angles are too low which makes you have to readjust mid climb as the tree tapers, usually 2-3 times minimum even with the HC set at head height and an aider from the start. I’ve done the Adreana123 bolt mod and don’t have to adjust til around 12-13 feet.
Someone please make one these with the above mentioned adjustments. DIY is fun but I want something more commercial.

You nailed it! I’m guessing this will happen at some point. Too many benefits for this not to be pursued.

We need a hybrid climber that has a post like the predator platform that you would connect to the tree once at the top of the climb. I think the summit style would work because you could have the adjustment bolt that would contact the V plate above the platform to level the platform. So at the top of the climb you would connect the platform to the tree just like the predator and then cam it down.

We need a hybrid climber that has a post like the predator platform that you would connect to the tree once at the top of the climb. I think the summit style would work because you could have the adjustment bolt that would contact the V plate above the platform to level the platform. So at the top of the climb you would connect the platform to the tree just like the predator and then cam it down.

That is a great idea

Back