• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New DIY Kneepads

donnieballgame

Well I was hanging out with @redsquirrel on the Sika hunt and he tends to rub off on ya! I am gonna try a ring of steps as a platform, but that means I will need some knee pads. I hate extra crap so I made these. I had some elbow pads from an old tactical shirt that were perfect, I dont think I need much.

A little work with the thread injector and I'm in good shape, I will have to adjust the right one as I got it too low, thought I marked it......

I used fleece it's just what I had, I had a few scraps of upholstery fabric that I thought would hold up well just didn't have enough.
64d56d84f583e1b6fdbace9d4256bc51.jpg
0b208867381e8b3d1bcc928e8369ac90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

S
Well I was hanging out with @redsquirrel on the Sika hunt and he tends to rub off on ya! I am gonna try a ring of steps as a platform, but that means I will need some knee pads. I hate extra crap so I made these. I had some elbow pads from an old tactical shirt that were perfect, I dont think I need much.

A little work with the thread injector and I'm in good shape, I will have to adjust the right one as I got it too low, thought I marked it......

I used fleece it's just what I had, I had a few scraps of upholstery fabric that I thought would hold up well just didn't have enough.
64d56d84f583e1b6fdbace9d4256bc51.jpg
0b208867381e8b3d1bcc928e8369ac90.jpg

First of all, nice job!

Second, as a fellow hand climber guy, I thought you'd already be into knee pads. I been putting my knees on the tree when I sit. What have you been doing? Leaning all the time?

I actually think I am secretly a ROS guy and will be exploring this side of me over the course of the season. I was thinking I wouldn't need knee pads for ROS because I would straddle the tree.

S

First of all, nice job!

Second, as a fellow hand climber guy, I thought you'd already be into knee pads. I been putting my knees on the tree when I sit. What have you been doing? Leaning all the time?

I actually think I am secretly a ROS guy and will be exploring this side of me over the course of the season. I was thinking I wouldn't need knee pads for ROS because I would straddle the tree.

You’ll need them. You probably won’t straddle the tree all the time.

S

First of all, nice job!

What's ROS?

Thanks, I started out last year with knee pads and I even used a seat pad strapped to the tree but by the end of the season I wasn't using any of them. I am mostly a leaner, but I think that's because I have always used a sitdrag which @redsquirrel has informed me won't be comfortable for sitting. I think I'm going to try a DIY saddle, haven't settled on a design yet.

What's ROS?

Thanks, I started out last year with knee pads and I even used a seat pad strapped to the tree but by the end of the season I wasn't using any of them. I am mostly a leaner, but I think that's because I have always used a sitdrag which @redsquirrel has informed me won't be comfortable for sitting. I think I'm going to try a DIY saddle, haven't settled on a design yet.

ROS= Ring of steps :)

I was gonna be an HC guy but fate brought me down the ros path and it is awesome.

My #1 position in terms of time spent in it is with knees against the tree and my Arcteryx knee pads really shine here.

My favorite position as far as comfort goes is straddling B-to-B. I just don't sit this way as much as I worry about movement and sound when the brown critters show up.

I spend some time leaning and find with proper step placement this is no problem.

I have a Primal plywood platform. I used it once and liked it. I'll probably use it again. There's just something cool about that ros though. Probably just perception but it makes me feel more like I am "saddle hunting" rather than standing in my mini treestand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wanna ditch that 4lb platform I've been carrying all over the place and am working on making some steps, I'll try and post up a thread in the DIY section if it isn't too much of a failure, lol!

BTW, another reason I like this is I was trashing my scentlok pants, so this should help reduce or eliminate that wear and tear. Figured I can always repair or replace the kneepad.

Back