• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New From Indiana

ekelsey15

Hey errbody.

I am new to the whole saddle hunting thing. Interested but haven't bought anything yet. Price is a bit steep for me so it'll take some time to save.

What is everyone's preferred saddle?
From what I read online I pretty much have 2 options. Tethrd mantis and the Kestrel. It appears that they are both about the same price unless I am missing something.

What does everyone think/like/hate/etc?

Thanks!

Welcome! I have a soft spot for Indiana... My best buck ever came from Richmond!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Not sure where that is. I just moved here from Cincinnati, Ohio. Still in the area, Southeastern Indiana. My state geography isn't what it should be. Ha. I know where the middle of the state is..

Welcome. If I was saving up I would wait to hear how everyone likes their new saddles as they start finding their way to the end users. If I were to have to decide today I would be unsure. I have a kestrel and it is a great saddle. I also have the mantis on order. I have no reason to think it wouldn’t be as good or better than the kestrel. If you will put me on a buck like g2 shot in Indiana I would give you a mesh trophyline.

Welcome from Iowa/Illinois! I’m new around here as well and just got a Kestrel recently. It seems great (haven’t taken it out yet), but if you can afford to wait and hear reviews once the Mantis comes out I would. That being said I don’t think you can go wrong as a new saddle hunter with either. Both seem great and are well thought out designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! Used saddles pop up all the time in the classifieds, so that is another option for you. You may be able to save a few bucks that way.

Welcome! I used to have family in the Indianapolis area, haven't done any hunting there, unfortunately. If you are like me and refuse to spend a lot on a saddle, get a rock climbing harness and some fleece, for literally 2 dollars you can have a pretty comfortable system. It's not as flashy, not a lot of bells and whistles and it won't get you the ladies, but I think it's the best way to go for any beginner, although it does require some DIY, just make sure you stay tied into the rock climbing harness so the fleece isn't your life support. You could also get a SitDrag, for about 30 bucks and modify it, just look for @g2outdoors video, check out the Newbie info, I did a write up on all of the options out there, I just updated it to include the new stuff from Tetherd Nation.

If you are just getting into it you will need a tether, linemans belts, carabiners, accessory cord for prusik knots and a few ropemans, and that's assuming you already have a climbing system, so again my recommendation for the budget is to start with a cheap saddle, it also allows you to wait for the reviews on the other stuff as previously mentioned and figure out if you really like it or not without a huge investment. At least that's the decision I made last year and I am still really happy with my SitDrag and Fleece saddles. I chose to spend my cash on climbing systems, I went SRT which is kind of expensive but a lot less bulky than sticks.

Good luck and welcome!

Back