• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New From Louisiana

n.sampey

Hey guys the name is nick, I'm 23 live in Louisiana and am just about addicted to whitetails more then anyone on this planet.. I travel alot hunting to states such as Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois and have always been the guy getting past everyone else by hiking way back in the woods. The millinium and climbing sticks get heavier everytime so I'm here for a change and look to learn alot and help someone if I can. I recently purchased a trophyline treesaddle and I'm currently awaiting its arrival, I'll be leaving for Wisconsin the 29th so hopefully I can get the basics by then.

Welcome to the site Nick! Sounds like you're in the right place, saddle hunting will be perfect for you! The best advice I can give is it going to take a little while to get used to, so give it a chance and don't give up! Once you get used to it, you will never go back to a tree stand!

Hi Nick! I haven't been hunting that long but I understand the addiction all too well! :lol:

I've been hunting out of my saddle for 3 weeks now and my advice is to give your saddle 4-5 hunts of 2-3hrs to get truly acclimated to it and find your comfort sweet spot. How high you tie your treestrap off, how high you wear your saddle, the angle you sit from the tree, the width of your treesteps/tree platform, all determine how comfortable you will be in a saddle. Give it time to get adjusted and I think you will find that after 3-4 sits you should be dialed in.

As far as shooting goes I found shooting a bow from the saddle to be as easy and accurate as shooting from the ground or on a treestand platform. After a couple days of practicing shooting positions I was very comfortable and accurate shooting from the saddle.

A couple of things I think that improve the overall saddle experience is using a rope-style tree strap and kneepads. For me the rope style tree strap is much easier to get setup with. And the kneepads will increase your comfort greatly. I am just using cheap hardshell AWP kneepads I got from Lowes 4 or 5 years ago when I was remodeling my house.

Back