• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from NC. Considering Saddle Hunting

burlybear75

Hello All! I am a new comer to the site and considering the mobility of tree saddles. I hunt a fair bit of public land and need to be able to hunt out of different setups based on wind. I have gotten by with climbing stands over the years but hate how exposed you can be with a limbless tree. My biggest concern is comfort and safety. Being a big fella, as my name suggests, I have seen suggestions from Aero hunter that guys over 240lbs are not the best fit for saddle hunting. I weigh 270lb and although I know most manufacturers of any tree stand with weight safety ratings top out at 300lbs although the breaking strength of lots materials, (webbing, ropes, weld points, etc.) are well into the 1000s of lbs, I am still wary if a guy of my size will be 1.safe, 2.comfortable in a tree saddle. It looks like such a good option but do any of you guys have anything light to shed on this topic? I scanned and saw a few mentions of big guys using and loving saddles but I wanted to ask again. If I hear the answers I am hoping for, I very well might be purchasing one for the late season here in NC!

Welcome aboard. Only way I will get into a tree. We are about the same size. I do not get hip pinch. The reason aero was suggesting that was more so for a comfort reason. It is the only way I will climb a tree and hunt from one. The kestrel size 2 is what I have used. The Mantis I just got this past Friday and have not had a chance other than to try it on to use.

Back