• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from NC

Tim W

Hello all... pretty stoked about giving saddle hunting a try next season! I've got the New Tribe Kestrel on order after having a disappointing season this year, plagued with back injuries and a knee surgery... Sitting in a treestand this year was not helping either of my issues (if I could even get up the tree)! This prompted me to look for a new way to hunt and a stumbled across you guys. I have spent countless hours reading all the posts and was very impressed with all the information sharing/tips/tricks/DIY ideas, got to the point I figured I might as well join and sign up! The things I've read so far would have been a season savor if I would've found saddle hunting sooner..! After reading it was reassuring to see that my progression in the way I hunt and/or want to hunt is "normal" or at least the norm on this site and that was motivating! thanks in advance to all for any help provided.

Hello all... pretty stoked about giving saddle hunting a try next season! I've got the New Tribe Kestrel on order after having a disappointing season this year, plagued with back injuries and a knee surgery... Sitting in a treestand this year was not helping either of my issues (if I could even get up the tree)! This prompted me to look for a new way to hunt and a stumbled across you guys. I have spent countless hours reading all the posts and was very impressed with all the information sharing/tips/tricks/DIY ideas, got to the point I figured I might as well join and sign up! The things I've read so far would have been a season savor if I would've found saddle hunting sooner..! After reading it was reassuring to see that my progression in the way I hunt and/or want to hunt is "normal" or at least the norm on this site and that was motivating! thanks in advance to all for any help provided.
Welcome! Charlotte area here. Where are you? Put yourself on the saddlehunter map!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Welcome! Charlotte area here. Where are you? Put yourself on the saddlehunter map!

I'm in the Raleigh area. Saw the map, I'm still learning how to navigate the site, will get it on there...

Question for you.... So I navigated the map, followed instructions, marked my location, but the SH map doesn't show my username??? Not sure if I did something wrong? the instructions said to hit the cancel button and don't save... Is that correct?

Question for you.... So I navigated the map, followed instructions, marked my location, but the SH map doesn't show my username??? Not sure if I did something wrong? the instructions said to hit the cancel button and don't save... Is that correct?

You have to hit save after entering your name. I did the same thing you did the first time.

Any specific tips you have that would make my transition to saddle hunting easier?

Welcome from the Asheville area!

This is my first season in a saddle however the best tip I have for you is play with your setup at ground level. Your whole setup- backpack, weapon of choice etc. Figuring out where to put your gear and how to keep it accessible while hunting before you go hunting is huge.

There are so many variables like tether height, platform type, climbing methods etc that you really have to try them all out and find what works for YOU.

Personally I hate having to figure it out in the dark and cold or feel like I'm fowling a good hunting spot by screwing around.

Don't be afraid to as questions and post new threads, the old hands here are great and have no trouble sharing their experiences.

Welcome from the Asheville area!

This is my first season in a saddle however the best tip I have for you is play with your setup at ground level. Your whole setup- backpack, weapon of choice etc. Figuring out where to put your gear and how to keep it accessible while hunting before you go hunting is huge.

There are so many variables like tether height, platform type, climbing methods etc that you really have to try them all out and find what works for YOU.

Personally I hate having to figure it out in the dark and cold or feel like I'm fowling a good hunting spot by screwing around.

Don't be afraid to as questions and post new threads, the old hands here are great and have no trouble sharing their experiences.

Thx for the tips. I've been very impressed reading the threads and the willingness everyone has to share information, I've already picked up a lot of useful ideas to improve on things I've already been doing (the little things that can make a world of difference)... I don't even have my saddle yet and after doing some reading on here I feel the transition to saddle hunting is going to go pretty smoothly!!

Tim, this has been my first season in a saddle, and I have yet to kill a deer out of it, I've missed two does! My suggestions would be to play around with your set up as much as possible, but I don't think you find what works best until you are actually in a hunting situation, because you will have to make adjustments after sitting for long periods. Also, if hunting with a bow, practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more! I've hunted from climbers mostly, so my biggest adjustment other than when taking a shot was getting up the tree quickly and quietly, and that just takes a lot of repetition to get it down pat.

I am using a kestrel and wild edge stepps. I got the saddle in October and I love the system but to everyone's point get comfortable at ground level then gradually gain height. Your climbing system could take more time to adjust to than the saddle. The saddle set up is so personal as you have probably read but things like how to wear the kestrel and where to put the tether and how long a bridge works best are all things to work out. For me I needed a shorter bridge than what came with the kestrel, so I shortened it. I then didn't like the bulk of the knots so I just changed over to a webbing bridge and I am running it about 26 inches. Read the threads on kestrel comfort. I found that I needed to wear it low and loose - I am 5'11" and 170 - lean - so I felt like I was sliding forward. Make sure you get knee pads too. Then there are logistical things to sort out like your pack set up and how you set up in the tree. But all that is part of the fun. Once you get comfortable you will never go back. I have not killed a deer from it yet but I have not had a lot of time to hunt this year with a new baby - and I box blind hunt with my older boys when gun season starts so I take a back seat each year after bow season so they get out with me one on one. I get back out this week again and am getting ready to try out Red's aider system. Good luck and get a Ropeman 1! 2 of them actually

Thx for the tips, much appreciated! I did order x2 Ropeman 1's based on all that I've read on here. My hunting set up over the years has been either the lonewolf hand climber or lonewolf sticks and alpha hangon, so I've been pretty mobile and I'm used to the climbing sticks (however I want to get a set of Helium or Muddy Pro sticks for the double steps). Based on everything I've read I'm thinking that my learning curve is going to be mainly with the saddle and set up in the tree at hunting height? (please feel free to burst my bubble if I'm mistaken and I'm under estimating the change in hunting style...!).

Welcome fellow NCer! I enjoyed hunting the marshier areas in NC gamelands around Raleigh when i lived there. I just got a kestrel this year but have been hunting from a ambush tree saddle since ~2005.

Thx for the tips, much appreciated! I did order x2 Ropeman 1's based on all that I've read on here. My hunting set up over the years has been either the lonewolf hand climber or lonewolf sticks and alpha hangon, so I've been pretty mobile and I'm used to the climbing sticks (however I want to get a set of Helium or Muddy Pro sticks for the double steps). Based on everything I've read I'm thinking that my learning curve is going to be mainly with the saddle and set up in the tree at hunting height? (please feel free to burst my bubble if I'm mistaken and I'm under estimating the change in hunting style...!).

Yeah - I'd agree with that. I did the Wild Edge Stepps so there was a learning curve there. Even from ground height or 1 stick up you'll start to realize what gets you more comfortable - but as you probably noticed on this forum - you keep tinkering to get it better, lighter, faster, quieter..... and spending money LOL

Yeah - I'd agree with that. I did the Wild Edge Stepps so there was a learning curve there. Even from ground height or 1 stick up you'll start to realize what gets you more comfortable - but as you probably noticed on this forum - you keep tinkering to get it better, lighter, faster, quieter..... and spending money LOL
No doubt.... My "want" list is growing, but the $$ tree is not!!!

Back