• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from North Carolina

Hey guys,

I've just recently come across the saddle hunting method, and I must admit, it has consumed my mind lately. After reading through some of the excellent information provided via the saddlehunter forums, I believe that I am going to attempt to construct a felt harness to be utilized in unison with a RCH so as to get to practicing as soon as possible from the trees. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Cheers

Thanks for all the responses guys. Do you NC hunters hunt any public land? I hunt quite a few different public land spots where I like to get in the thick cover, deep from the roads. I feel like hunting from a saddle this year will be quite beneficial in these areas, as far as mobility and gear weight is concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses guys. Do you NC hunters hunt any public land? I hunt quite a few different public land spots where I like to get in the thick cover, deep from the roads. I feel like hunting from a saddle this year will be quite beneficial in these areas, as far as mobility and gear weight is concerned.

This will be my first year hunting in NC, and it will all be public land. Have you had good success on public?

Welcome to the site! I hunt primarily private but make some hunts on the Butner/Falls of Neuse gamelands a few times each year....Wish all you NC hunters good luck this year....

I used to lease in Anson but that property sold last year right as the season was about to start so I didn't hunt in NC for the first time in a while. I lease in VA as well. I just bought an 18 acre tract in Burke county this summer bordering Pisgah, so I'll be checking that out - definitely hunting it for bear, as the sanctuary borders my tract. That will be a big learning curve too, as that will be new to me. I know that area allows the dog guys to tree bears. Not my style for sure, but it could create some scenarios where the hunts get trashed by the dog guys. The adjacent landowners say there is no deer there, but I don't think they know what the hell they are doing - just running feeders and setting over them. I have heard deer density is lower, but that there are good bucks on the public. This season will be more of sit back and observe, with a couple of explorations into the public. Where I'm at the public is hard to get to if you don't have private access so hopeful there is no pressure and I can get on some sign and start to learn the area. @NCBowhunter11b the saddle set up will be huge for mobility and weight if you are pounding ground to get to the good spots.

I used to lease in Anson but that property sold last year right as the season was about to start so I didn't hunt in NC for the first time in a while. I lease in VA as well. I just bought an 18 acre tract in Burke county this summer bordering Pisgah, so I'll be checking that out - definitely hunting it for bear, as the sanctuary borders my tract. That will be a big learning curve too, as that will be new to me. I know that area allows the dog guys to tree bears. Not my style for sure, but it could create some scenarios where the hunts get trashed by the dog guys. The adjacent landowners say there is no deer there, but I don't think they know what the hell they are doing - just running feeders and setting over them. I have heard deer density is lower, but that there are good bucks on the public. This season will be more of sit back and observe, with a couple of explorations into the public. Where I'm at the public is hard to get to if you don't have private access so hopeful there is no pressure and I can get on some sign and start to learn the area. @NCBowhunter11b the saddle set up will be huge for mobility and weight if you are pounding ground to get to the good spots.

I’m definitely looking forward to using the saddle setup for my public hunts this year. Some of the “honey holes” I have found are several miles from the truck, so the reduction in gear weight is certainly welcomed. Don’t let them fool you... hahaha I do think the deer density is lower in that half of the state, but there are some quality bucks on public lands like you said. Pisgah is an excellent place all around. I flyfish many of the wild streams across the Pisgah backcountry. Best of luck to you this year my friend.

Back