• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from SW PA

Pennswoods85

Hi guys, Been lurking on here since the fall when I stumbled on it from the beast. Have to say it's been a game changer! I hunt pretty much 100% run n gun on public land and always thought my system of using a lonewolf+spurs was king until I found this place. Converted to Sit drag and xop platform for late season and was instantly in love. Now have kestrel and will be waiting on tethrd.
The information on this forum and videos from g2outdoors, DaveT1963 and flinginairos made it a seamless switch. I admire the innovation and level of detail that you guys put into every peice of gear. Just want to say a big thanks!

Awesome, getting some serious PA hunters, love it! Were you climbing with the XOP or just using it as a platform? Hand climber or post version?

Welcome from the middle of the state, formerly out West.

Ever run into game wardens with the spurs on public or anything? I've been this close to making the switch but presumed them illegal.

Awesome, getting some serious PA hunters, love it! Were you climbing with the XOP or just using it as a platform? Hand climber or post version?
I was just using the post version of the xop seat I had built and climbing with spikes. Are you from Pa also?Screenshot_20180610-122422.jpg Screenshot_20180610-122407.jpg

Welcome from the middle of the state, formerly out West.

Ever run into game wardens with the spurs on public or anything? I've been this close to making the switch but presumed them illegal.
No I have never encountered a game warden, I honestly do not know if they are legal/illegal. I just take certain percuations like cleaning off the gaffs and not climbing a certain tree more than twice a year. I've noticed older trees that I've climbed always healed up. The puncture is just a small triangle around 3/8 deep, sometimes far less damage than a stick would do.

No I have never encountered a game warden, I honestly do not know if they are legal/illegal. I just take certain percuations like cleaning off the gaffs and not climbing a certain tree more than twice a year. I've noticed older trees that I've climbed always healed up. The puncture is just a small triangle around 3/8 deep, sometimes far less damage than a stick would do.
I would like to know for sure because I have also been considering using spikes but wasn't sure if legality. I might have to call sometime and find out for sure. Would definitely like to give them a try if I can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. Welcome! I'm a noob that's going to give it a try this year so just looking at all my options. I'm from swpa.

Hi guys, Been lurking on here since the fall when I stumbled on it from the beast. Have to say it's been a game changer! I hunt pretty much 100% run n gun on public land and always thought my system of using a lonewolf+spurs was king until I found this place. Converted to Sit drag and xop platform for late season and was instantly in love. Now have kestrel and will be waiting on tethrd.
The information on this forum and videos from g2outdoors, DaveT1963 and flinginairos made it a seamless switch. I admire the innovation and level of detail that you guys put into every peice of gear. Just want to say a big thanks!

I’ve seen your set up pics on ig awhile back. I’m from the west newton area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to know for sure because I have also been considering using spikes but wasn't sure if legality. I might have to call sometime and find out for sure. Would definitely like to give them a try if I can.

It sure be interesting to hear what they say, if you have any questions about them don't hesitate to shoot me a massage.

I was just using the post version of the xop seat I had built and climbing with spikes. Are you from Pa also?View attachment 4857 View attachment 4859

Yeah I'm from NE PA, but I live in Northern VA right now, still hold a PA license, did a little hunting at my parents place last year, almost got a big one but it was before first light, and managed to screw up filling my doe tag, lol. A lot different than NOVA, froze my @&% off, had sits that were -13 with the wind chill, I know folks that hunt in the real North will laugh at that, but that was pretty cold for me.

Looks like a pretty good setup! I have a really old set of spikes and tried them a few times last year and I'm not sure how I feel about them, hate to damage a nice tree!

Last time I read the PA regs I interpreted it as spurs not being legal.

Last time I read the PA regs I interpreted it as spurs not being legal.

This is the PGC regulation for State Game Lands:
It is unlawful to....

(11) Construct, place, maintain, occupy, use, leave or abandon any structures or other tangible property, except that portable hunting blinds or stands may be used subject to the following restrictions:

(i) Use may not cause damage to trees.

And this is the DCNR regulation for State Forests and State Parks:

§ 21.120. Ground blinds and tree stands. (a) Ground blinds and tree stands may be placed, used and occupied subject to the following requirements: (1) They must be portable. (2) Their placement, use or occupation may not cause damage to a tree.

So both sets of regulations say that you cannot cause damage to a tree. How is that interpreted? I can walk up to a tree and peel a single piece of bark off, and by the letter of the law I suppose I have damaged the tree? Is it if the bark is penetrated into the cambium layer? If so, most climbers, some sticks, stepps, and treestands that cam over should all be illegal also, they all penetrate bark?

This is the PGC regulation for State Game Lands:
It is unlawful to....

(11) Construct, place, maintain, occupy, use, leave or abandon any structures or other tangible property, except that portable hunting blinds or stands may be used subject to the following restrictions:

(i) Use may not cause damage to trees.

And this is the DCNR regulation for State Forests and State Parks:

§ 21.120. Ground blinds and tree stands. (a) Ground blinds and tree stands may be placed, used and occupied subject to the following requirements: (1) They must be portable. (2) Their placement, use or occupation may not cause damage to a tree.

So both sets of regulations say that you cannot cause damage to a tree. How is that interpreted? I can walk up to a tree and peel a single piece of bark off, and by the letter of the law I suppose I have damaged the tree? Is it if the bark is penetrated into the cambium layer? If so, most climbers, some sticks, stepps, and treestands that cam over should all be illegal also, they all penetrate bark?
Depends on who is interpreting them lol.

I would interpret them as illegal. My gut tells me most game warden would issue you a citation if caught using them. It makes the tree more succeptible to disease and insects, so it might not often happen but the possibility of killing the tree is there. Also, even when they heal up I think they could still argue that you hurt the timber value of the tree.

I would interpret them as illegal. My gut tells me most game warden would issue you a citation if caught using them. It makes the tree more succeptible to disease and insects, so it might not often happen but the possibility of killing the tree is there. Also, even when they heal up I think they could still argue that you hurt the timber value of the tree.

Wild edge claims on there site that their steps are legal on all state land, but after seeing some recent pics on what they do to some trees I’m not sure? Grant it from a game wardens POV I’m sure they would right you s ticket if they see you using spurs but them again I’ve only seen them when returning back to the truck so you could argue the fact that you were simply taking your spurs for a walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back