• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New gear hoist

clint6760

I just received my medium mantis and the retractable bow hoist that I have been using won’t fit in the molle loops because they are too tight.

What are you guys using with the mantis. Something lightweight and retractable preferably. Does the Doyle hoist fit in the loops. Thanks

You have to grind the Doyle holder down after unscrewing it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just received my medium mantis and the retractable bow hoist that I have been using won’t fit in the molle loops because they are too tight.

What are you guys using with the mantis. Something lightweight and retractable preferably. Does the Doyle hoist fit in the loops. Thanks

I actually hang my Doyle hoist from the lineman’s loop. It works perfectly and doesn’t need a mod nor does it get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to the HSS reel hoist. I clip it in right behind me and zip tied it so it's easy to crank with one hand. About the size of a deck of cards and only a few ounces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I actually hang my Doyle hoist from the lineman’s loop. It works perfectly and doesn’t need a mod nor does it get in the way.

That’s how I hung mine for now and seems fine. I’ll probably leave it for now like that and later remove and cut the clip smaller.

It took some work and some tools as I
3dc7b86e2c0e3ea1d2d718ca1d8fb204.jpg
remember but I got it too fit on the molle loops on my Mantis.

Not to derail but I'm still hung up on you recieving your medium mantis a day ago. I wonder if they are shipping mediums again?

I use the doyle hoist through the molle loops on the back without any issues. Didnt have to grind it down or anything.

HSS Gear Hoist - 4 oz
Doyle's Hoist - 14 oz
I have a hard time adding almost a pound to a saddle that's only 15 ounces just for a gear hoist that is used once up and once down.
I had the same issues with the weight, couple guys on here said it was worth it. Auto wind out and in is pretty convenient and worry free.

Not to derail but I'm still hung up on you recieving your medium mantis a day ago. I wonder if they are shipping mediums again?
Sorry I should have clarified. I bought it used from a guy on the saddle Facebook page.

If done correctly the paracord is tangle free on the payout but since it doesn't have constant tension on it, it can get hung up on steps, branches, etc especially the "slack" loop that is created when pulling up your gear. I used paracord for awhile and it worked ok, just didn't like winding it up twice on each hunt to keep it from tangling, or watching it blow around in the wind if I didn't store it properly, so I switched to the Doyle's and never looked back. Sure it's heavy but.....that is the only downside that I have found yet. It really is an awesome piece of hunting gear.

You know what else I love about the Doyles is it retracts as you pull up your gear so you are never grabbing the wrong side or it isn't sagging down and getting caught on stuff...I still do mentally struggle with the weight and bulk.

Try the new Summit retractable set up. I have one and love it. Smaller and much lighter than the others out there.

Try the new Summit retractable set up. I have one and love it. Smaller and much lighter than the others out there.

Unless they have changed the design there used to be a spring loaded deal inside that made noise as it was pulled in or out. There was some discussion on it in a thread awhile back.....kind of turned me off of it. Also, the specs said it's only a couple of ounces lighter than a Doyle's Hoist, which is dead quiet? It does appear to be smaller though....

Back