• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Guy from Cincinnati

ingramjri

Really digging the site. Just ordered an aerohunter and looking forward to using it this Fall. I hunt back country in Daniel Boone National Forest a lot and carrying in a climber for a few miles just is not practical...really interested in seeing if I can make the saddle work in those conditions. Seems promising...

Welcome to the site. It's an amazing community with a lot of knowledge to share. I've learned so much and I am sure you will also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bowhunter41002 said:
Welcome. Where in Cincinnati u live? I live in KY about 40 minutes from the airport on the aa hwy

Greetings KY:

I live about 6 miles north of downtown Cincinnati. But I actually hunt a lot in Kentucky and am on the AA quite a bit. I have access to 140 acre property out side of Flemmingsburg, about 30 minutes south of Maysville. That's going to be my rut spot this year. I'm the first (legal) hunter allowed on the property in at least 80 years, so I'm pumped.

I also do a lot of backpack hunts in red river gorge and clifty wilderness. If you've ever been you know that those places are steep and thick, which is what is attractive to me about saddle hunting - light and flexible in and out.

Jonathan

Maybe we hunt together sometime. I hunt in Lewis Co and bracken co. And been to the gorge so I know it's steep

Welcome to the site.
You'll love saddle hunting, it offers a TON when compared to other types of tree stands.
The key will be setting it up multiple times prior to the season. If you're smart, you'll figure out quick ways to set up while still maintaining your safety. If you're intelligent, you'll figure out quiet ways to set it up!

This is an addicting what to hunt, ye be warned!

Cincinnati - I really liked that place. I attended UC from 1990-1994; I lived in Dabney Hall and had a blast - from what I can remember.

Welcome to the site and the addiction. Pretty soon you'll have more saddles than you know what to do with :lol: :lol:

Scott F said:
Welcome to the site.
You'll love saddle hunting, it offers a TON when compared to other types of tree stands.
The key will be setting it up multiple times prior to the season. If you're smart, you'll figure out quick ways to set up while still maintaining your safety. If you're intelligent, you'll figure out quiet ways to set it up!

This is an addicting what to hunt, ye be warned!

Cincinnati - I really liked that place. I attended UC from 1990-1994; I lived in Dabney Hall and had a blast - from what I can remember.

Small world...Cincinnati is a good place to live. Meant to be here two years and now I'm just a few years away from having a park bench named after me.

As to the saddle experience...My aero arrived Saturday and by the end of the day Sunday I had bastardized an old hand climber as a foot climber and experimented with a couple of platform options. I used rubber tire chucks fed through a ratchet strap as a platform. Very comfortable on the feet because of the width and the angle (wedge shape) but maybe a bit too heavy (about 10 lbs total) so I'm thinking through other options. The ratchet is also too loud but I ordered some neoprene to cover it with - hoping that gives me a good muffle. I also tried a trucker's hitch knot on climbing rope to tighten the platform down but its was too unstable. I'll get this nut cracked though.

Bottom line is that I'm already having fun and the season hasn't even started...

Welcome. Stick with it and you'll find that saddle hunting is far superior to any other method.

Back