• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from Iowa

sziggy

Greetings saddlehunter crew. I have been watching this site for a while and joined recently. This is my first post, ever, I am not a " forum" guy. I have never saddle hunted either but with all the great information I have seen so far I am inspired. I plan on ordering a mantis this weekend.
What one piece of advice would you give to someone new to saddle use?

Welcome to the site!

My advice, 1) try as much of the gear as you can before you buy, there are likely saddle hunters near you that would be happy to let you try their stuff. 2) Become proficient with your kit before hitting the woods so you aren’t banging around and stressing.

Thanks for the advice. When I do get my gear I was planning on practicing as much as possible. Got any advice on selecting trees, as in safe vs. unsafe (other than size of course)

Welcome I am not a forum person either. Only on this site! I agree try as many different saddles, climbing aids as possible 1 size does not fit everyone. Saddehunting is very individual. I am never satisfied and always trying something new and different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome from Arkansas, I was not a forum or social media guy, but this place is special

Welcome from Louisiana. Search the information on this site, ask any questions you can think of and check the saddle hunter map for members near you. Chances are you can try different equipment first hand with another member before you buy.

Thanks everyone. I'll work on getting on the map and see if there is anyone close.

Welcome from SE Michigan! I was just in your neck of the woods at the Iowa Deer Classic. Good advice given so far. Also, check out the SaddlePalooza events and try to make one close to you. They are starting to pop up here and there.

Welcome to the site!

My advice, 1) try as much of the gear as you can before you buy, there are likely saddle hunters near you that would be happy to let you try their stuff. 2) Become proficient with your kit before hitting the woods so you aren’t banging around and stressing.
That’s about the best advice someone can give to a new saddle hunter. As far as safe trees it’s no different than a lock on. Welcome to the site.

Ziggy, welcome from Massachusetts!
The only thing I can add is take your time and have fun. I started saddle hunting last year and I honestly smile when I'm in the saddle I enjoy it so much.

Ziggy, welcome from Massachusetts!
The only thing I can add is take your time and have fun. I started saddle hunting last year and I honestly smile when I'm in the saddle I enjoy it so much.

Thanks, I hope I am smiling about it next season as well. I have a some friends that are almost anti saddle, but the more I talk with them them seem anti adventure altogether. They might as well quit hunting now.

Back