• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from Minnesota

dblomberg4

My name's Dan, been on the site for a bit, but just starting to participate in the forums. I purchased WE stepps earlier this year and am in the process of trying to decide on a saddle to purchase this week... I can't wait till Sept for Archery season to open up here.... you guys all seem like good people from my lurking over the past 7 months or so.. Also, I wouldn't mind if ya'll wanted to throw your saddle preferences at me, please do...

Welcome Dan. I've only saddle hunted one season, but I love my Mantis. It's lite weight and comfortable for all day sits. I pair it with the Predator, and use Wild Edge steps and the Knaider /Swaider to climb. It all works for me. As you will find you need to put together the system that works for you. Enjoy.

Welcome from Michigan!

I started with a sit drag and a rock climbing harness, loved all the new places that it opened up and how light the setups were. Eventually bought a Mantis and have no regrets!

Starting with a sit drag is a cheap way to get a feel for saddle hunting if your unsure, but if your already sold just going for it is fine too!

Welcome from SE Michigan! Great site you found. Haven't met a saddle I didn't like yet but haven't tried them all. Mostly personal preference and financial preference. DIY is a fun way to try some different saddles.

Welcome from Arkansas. I'm a DIY addict, I use a SitDrag
Nice, what types of mods did you do to your sitdrag? I have a sit drag but I dont' like getting up too high in it without any modification, and I don't have any sewing equipment to modify it myself.

Welcome from another Minnesotan. I started saddle hunting from a treesuit years ago (still the most comfortable saddle I have hunted out of). Last year I bought a sit drag and then a kestrel. They are both comfortable and great too. The kestrel will be my main saddle but if I plan an all day sit I will hunt from my treesuit.

Welcome! I also have 1 season in the saddle. I chose the mantis because I wanted to support a MN based company. I was fortunate enough to pick it up and meet some of the crew. I have no regrets.

Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up and see the saddle. I also have WE steps and can show you my system. I am pretty close to St. Paul

Welcome (from Wisconsin) to the Rabbit Hole!
Aerohunter Kestrel, Podium Platform, and Lone Wolf DIY Double Step Mini-Sticks. DIY is pretty addicting, working on a Klemz now as well with one of my extra Lone Wolf seats I have laying around.

Welcome (from Wisconsin) to the Rabbit Hole!
Aerohunter Kestrel, Podium Platform, and Lone Wolf DIY Double Step Mini-Sticks. DIY is pretty addicting, working on a Klemz now as well with one of my extra Lone Wolf seats I have laying around.
I know what your saying about DIY being addicting, I built a 5 step aider with webbing, and 550 parachord. I used them a few times before taking them apart for different uses as they weren't the easist to navigate in the dark, and i dont' really need them w/ my 8 WE stepps.

Welcome to the site! Spend plenty of time w/ the stepps, so your dialed in. As for saddles I’d start in a kite or kestrel & go from there. If you’re more minimalist you’ll like a mantis & Jx3 is the extreme opposite end of the spectrum ( not necessarily a true saddle) so I didn’t rank it first based on your question ( or application)

Thanks for the advice @Bigterp! The Jx3 is a neat concept, but yeah, I'm mostly looking at the mantis / kite / kestrel right now. Thanks to @Patriot38 I'll be checking out the Mantis in person tomorrow...

Back