• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from MN

Luke Myre

I just started listening to the wired to hunt podcast and probably listened to the John Eberhart episode 3 times going over saddle hunting. I'm convinced. I've only been deer hunting for a few years and really like the mobility of a harness rather than being confined to a stand.

I'm planning on ordering the mantis or kestrel this week. Any suggestions or advice?

Welcome to the forum! I'm from MN as well. Considering the Mantis AND the predator platform are made in Minnesota and it's made by saddle hunters on the forum based on years of experience, I would get the mantis (if I didn't already have a kestrel).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Great to see another from MN. I've been saddle hunting for 5 years now. I would say either is a great choice and very comparable. Still using my New Tribe Evolution and it may be a little bulky, but it gets the job done and I'm used to it.

I just started listening to the wired to hunt podcast and probably listened to the John Eberhart episode 3 times going over saddle hunting. I'm convinced. I've only been deer hunting for a few years and really like the mobility of a harness rather than being confined to a stand.

I'm planning on ordering the mantis or kestrel this week. Any suggestions or advice?
Welcome from a Hastings guy....just picked up a Kestrel this summer and will be ready Sept. 15th...go get 'em and be safe.

Welcome from Rochester. I don't think you can go wrong with the kestrel or the mantis. If you order a kestrel, they are a bit behind because of wild fires so it must likely won't ship for a month or so. I haven't heard of a manti s being shipped yet.

Welcome from St.Francis, MN. I'm waiting on my mantis saddle but I'm sure you can't go wrong with the kestrel either. Both sure beat the heck out of a hang on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!
Just ordered the Kestrel! It will be a little longer due to the fires so I may try to improvise/practice a little with my climbing harness.
This will be my first real season bow hunting as well. I'm planning on doing a lot of practice from the saddle beforehand. Any tips for best position I can get myself into to give me the best odds of at least being in good position. Keeping the adrenaline down will be another story.

I think you'll be happy with the kestrel, but you may have to play with the bridge length. I replaced the stock bridge with a 25" amsteel bridge (look up splicing amsteel on G2 outdoors YouTube channel). Other than that it's a sweet saddle.
As far as positioning, put your "strong side" in the direction you expect deer to come. So right handed shooter...set up with deer coming in on your left. That way 80-90% of your shots you have near zero movement.
Check out the Saddle Hunter podcast with Chasing Tales, a lot of good first time saddle hunter questions answered in that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back