• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Guy from VA

Oldforester

Hey everyone! My name's Woody and I'm from Matoaca Va. I'm 51 and have been hunting since I can remember. I bow, blackpowder and gun hunt. I've always used climbers and fixed positions but I bought 4 LW sticks and LW hang on a two years ago. Game changer! I have hunted public land a lot but I hunt mostly private land now. But being able to be mobile and hunt "around" the hunting pressure on our lease is Huge! So, researching into being as mobile as I can, brought me here to saddlehunter.com. I am stoked about my new journey into saddle hunting and can't wait for my mantis to get here so I can start practicing and getting ready for next season. I am a utility worker so I'm used to climbing with a belt and gaffs so hopefully this won't be that hard for me to get the hang of. Oh and I'm planning on making my second trip to Kansas this fall (all public land) and I can't wait to not have to lug that heavy Summit around. Some of the spots we hunted last time were over a mile from the parking area. And try finding a good tree to climb in Kansas! Not a problem with my new saddle! Thanks for all the great info you experienced guys offer to us newbies like me. I really enjoy this forum!

Welcome from Gastonia, NC!

planning on making my second trip to Kansas this fall (all public land) and I can't wait to not have to lug that heavy Summit around. Some of the spots we hunted last time were over a mile from the parking area. And try finding a good tree to climb in Kansas! Not a problem with my new saddle!

I'm new to saddle hunting as well, and I think you're right, we'll enjoy the lighter load on public land DIY hunts. Me and some buddies (including @Bwhana on this site) did a DIY trip to Ohio a year ago, and were amazed at how hard it was to find a climbing stand tree at times. Not so with the saddle! Enjoy and good luck!

Hello and welcome from Ms. I am 51 also and I wished I would have looked into a saddle long ago. I got in one hunt last season and have been playing around in the back yard. looking forward to next season.

Back