• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New hex platform

austin1990

SH Member
I've had the idea for this platform for a while but been so busy I've not had time to work on til the last few days. Finally got all the measurements and angles figured out and then started cutting and bending pieces and this is the end result. Pretty light, rock solid with a ocb and packs down flat within 1 1/4". This one is basically a prototype, I've already got a guy drawing it up for me to get it machined or waterjetted. I haven't decided which process yet, will mostly depend on price but I know it'll be stronger and lighter either way I go with.Screenshot_20190604-105437_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190604-105432_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190604-105426_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190604-105420_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190604-105414_Gallery.jpg

Waterjet is cheaper but machining will make your vertical leg stops better since you'd have to weld them on after the waterjet cuts the platform profile

Waterjet is cheaper but machining will make your vertical leg stops better since you'd have to weld them on after the waterjet cuts the platform profile
Exactly, we have a big router table at work I can use to machine it but we've got so much to do with it already it'll be 3 months or so before I can get it cut. I would rather do that and keep it one solid piece than have to weld the leg stops on. We've got a laser I can use but I'm afraid the heat will warp and weaken the aluminum to much. Theres another business that does some water jetting for us now and then that I can get a quote from. Who knows I may water jet one until we get the time to machine one out lol try both ways and see which I like better then use the other as a preset or something.

I like it a lot. NIce thoughts, and the folding legs look great. Keep running with it!

I can dig it. Im shocked it is over 3 lbs. I guess it is those solid legs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My plan on them were to mill them out to make an I beam/ H beam

That will be nice if your only making 1 it would be expensive making very many of them. I bet that will hold a ton of weight. I think you could get away with wag lighter materials thinner/ smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will be nice if your only making 1 it would be expensive making very many of them. I bet that will hold a ton of weight. I think you could get away with wag lighter materials thinner/ smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just so happens at work we have a bunch of scrap aluminum stock pieces and I do quite a bit of work on the mill as needed so they won't cost me anything but my time. I probably could use different material and be fine but I've already got this.

Back