• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New hunting buddy

Countymounty7623

As you can see I picked up a new hunting buddy. Hopefully we can get out this spring and hunt for some sheds. That being said I picked up a book by Tom dokken but does any one have any advice for someone who has never trained a dog to hunt before?F914AF6B-884C-493F-A0F0-1B6A89C47EBB.png

Cute guy. Which book? I have the retriever and the advanced book. They are some of the most straightforward, easy to use training books, at least for me. There are many others.

Caveat being my dog is a pointer not a flusher and considered a versatile dog. So there are some elements that change for me so I have cherry picked what I need out of it.

Personally not a shed hunter. But I know there's another guy out there with a video and a kit you can buy geared toward shed hunting.

I can say it's pretty awesome to walk the bush with a shotgun and canine hunting buddy.

Cute guy. Which book? I have the retriever and the advanced book. They are some of the most straightforward, easy to use training books, at least for me. There are many others.

Caveat being my dog is a pointer not a flusher and considered a versatile dog. So there are some elements that change for me so I have cherry picked what I need out of it.

Personally not a shed hunter. But I know there's another guy out there with a video and a kit you can buy geared toward shed hunting.

I can say it's pretty awesome to walk the bush with a shotgun and canine hunting buddy.
The training your dog to hunt for shed antlers book. I would love to have him for more than just sheds as I love going for pats in my area but we will see about that with time I guess

Congrats! Great looking pup! We've got a 7 month old black lab female. I need to get my butt in gear training as well. We had a chocolate lab previously. She was the alpha of her litter and I was new to training at the time. I did a great deal of reading on lab-retriever.net. You'd get the most benefit out of the section dedicated to hunt training. Here's a link to it in Tapatalk: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_sfid=34&share_fid=1481380&share_type=sf

The training program I had really good luck with was Smartwork by Evan Graham. I just picked up Vol. 1 of the book and the obedience DVD. Really like the program and it made sense to me. And Evan is on that forum if you have questions.

Anyways, great looking pup. Have fun with it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'm planning on a dog purchase sometime next year....I'm also planning on keeping some empty milk jugs in the truck so i can collect blood to try and train the new puppy to blood trail.

I keep trying to get my wife to fall in love with GSP’s.
I have been sending her pics and videos of cute ones for weeks. She said no more animals period, since it is all her taking care of them. Something about me flying 21 days a month and not actually having to take care of the animal.... lol.

A shed dog is my dream though.

I read and used the training methods of Richard wolters, one of his books is "Water Dog". It wasn't complicated, the key was consistency, and MAKING time for it. Good dogs actually love the interaction and usually eager to please. Oh and course LOTS of patience especially early on. Start early, like now. Pups will pick up the basics quickly if you are consistent and do short training period often.

I have been sending her pics and videos of cute ones for weeks. She said no more animals period, since it is all her taking care of them. Something about me flying 21 days a month and not actually having to take care of the animal.... lol.

Listen to her. Especially if it’s a GSP you’re after.....

You stick her with a GSP 21 days a month and you’ll come home one day to all your stuff burning in the driveway.

X2 for Water Dog. I trained both my lab and my Chesapeake. Lab was waaaay easier. Socialize them, learn their mannerisms as they learn yours and you’ll be fine. Slow and easy, treats aren’t needed for training.....the dog aims to please. Use a choker to enforce the short training sessions. Sit, stay, come and heal can be done quite quickly.

All this being said, I bought an e collar when training the Chessie. I explicitly followed the instructions so he never associated the collar with fear or pain. It’s like having a remote control dog. Can’t remember ever needing the “nick” function.....simply the tone and vibrate.

Congrats.

Last edited:
I can’t stress enough the importance of force fetch if you’re planning on duck hunting this lab. Find a reputable trainer nearby and let them do it. Your life will be so much easier if you do. I would even go so far as recommending the trainer do basic obedience as well.

Training. Your own dog is incredibly rewarding, but it’s easy to head down a rabbit hole of mistakes if you’ve never done it before or if you don’t have a support group of folks around you to help you and, more importantly, to inspire you to train. I say this because training never stops. Never. It doesn’t take much time each day, but it truly is something you have to stay with.

Lastly, if you go the trainer route don’t leave with your pup until the trainer has trained you. The smart trainers will insist on this. If they send a perfectly capable dog home with you, but you don’t know how to handle then you’ll wind up blaming the trainer and that’s bad for their business.

We have a GSP/beagle oooppppssss now that is 8 and stubborn as all get our best of luck with that

Just a quick update on the little guy. He’s doing great adjusting to his new home and he loves playing with the boys. He’s taking a liking to the sheds I bought online and he will even retrieve them if I don’t throw them to far in front of him.

Back