• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New hunting compound rec's

BuckTown

So I have been hunting with a Parker Buckhunter bow since I started bow hunting back in 2011. Had a catastrophic failure last season with it and the limbs paid the price. Now I am in the market for a new compound. I will use it for almost exclusively hunting, with the exception of practicing during off season. Some research has led me to 3 bows that I feel would be great purchases, just wanted to see if any of you have experience with any of the 3. All of the 3 would be a huge upgrade to what I have and come in at a price point I like. So now for the bows:
Bear Divergent EKO
Obsession Sniper SS
Gearhead Disrupter 24
Let me know if any of you have had your hands on any of these and your thoughts. Trying to determine what dealer I want to head to as the Gearhead brand is only sold in one location close to me. If you have any other recommendations around the $750 price point let me know as well. Hoping to get out in the next few weeks to a dealer and try a few of these out, at least put my hands on one.

I just picked up a gearhead Disrupter 24 and after shooting prime bows for several years and considered the best in the business I personally am in love with my Disrupter. It is has a very smooth draw cycle and the back wall reminds me of the elites of the past where you literally had to push them out of full draw. The bow tuned very easy for me. I still am in the process of bh tuning but so far its been a breeze. Honestly don’t let the looks fool you the bows are no joke!!

Don’t overlook PSE. I have the Vendetta VX and it shoots great and is the quietest now I’ve owned. The new evolve/evoke series are even better than what I have. I buy all my bows from archery shops on eBay because I don’t have a dealer close to me.

A lot of people are surprised with how well the new Bear bows shoot. They also tend to reach their IBO speeds. The strings used to be junk though. I had to restring to prevent continual peep rotation. I have a 2015 Bear Traxx that is still my primary.

Last edited:
I have been impressed with the bear Kuma 30. I picked it up last year for 600. it has a smooth draw cycle and the back wall is firm.

You can order the Gearheads online you don't need a dealer unless you want someone to set it up. If you are the type that needs to shoot a bow first then obviously you need to see a dealer or contact a buddy that may have one. For me personally, honestly, unless I am very concerned the bow will not fit me, I really have no need to shoot a bow before I purchase it anymore. There are so many online reviews now you can get a sense from these if a person likes the bow or its characteristics. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOR NEW ARCHERS HOWEVER!!! I would highly recommend trying the Darton Lightning, Maverick or Spectra E out. They meet and exceed their speed ratings. I have the Spectra E and it is a very smooth drawing, fast and quiet bow with little to no hand shock. I was shooting bare shaft bullet holes in no time with this bow using both carbons and my heavier xx75's. It is faster than my Matthews Chill R which was/is still a very fast, accurate smooth shooting bow. The Darton shoots just as nicely as my Matthews. I don't really care about speed per se', am looking for performance to push a heavy arrow. I'm telling you, the Darton's are a very well made bow and everything is still made up in Hale Michigan. I have a 27" DL and my Spectra E shoots a 373 grain arrow at 275fps pulling 62.4lbs. You can also order these online right to your door. The Lightning XT and Maverick XT are a little less in price but a little faster. The Gearheads seem like great bows too. I like how compact they are and I am seriously considering a T-24 at some point. Finally, I have no experience with them but I'm hearing good reviews on the speed and more importantly tunability of the Expedition DLX, Max-15 and Max-16's.

https://www.dartonarchery.com/copy-of-maverick-xt

Last edited:

My recommendation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Achtung! I want one! Unfortunately, these would be illegal in NYState as it has a draw lock feature. Now to me, this requirement is ridiculous because every crossbow is essentially a draw-loc bow inherently. This is really cool. Leave it to Austrian or Duetshland engineering.

You could go with this sweetheart and not have to worry about catastrophic failures any more. Just saying... ;)

20923x_171x500.jpg

I have been impressed with the bear Kuma 30. I picked it up last year for 600. it has a smooth draw cycle and the back wall is firm.

The good thing, and the bad thing, about Bear bows is that there isn't a huge demand and they do not hold their value.

That means that you can buy a new one on ebay that is 1 to 2 years old and pay half price or less.

I got mine right as the 2016s were coming out and I got it for like $400 (sticker over $700).

Of course, it means that after a few years it isn't even worth selling, but I always think that way with compounds. I never buy thinking I'll sell it for anything exciting.

Recurves and longbows hold their value, and compounds do not unless you are selling a 2019 Mathews Triax in like new condition.

Back