• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New in GA

CrackbottomLouis

Hey all! As the title states I am from GA. NW metro ATL specifically.

I have been exploring more and more public/private land that I don't hunt regularly so was looking into options for a run and gun system that will give me the flexibility I need.

A couple weeks later and low and behold I am now a YouTube expert without ever having sat in a saddle :).

Joking aside, I am very interested in the method as it seems to be just what I am looking for despite my naysaying hunting buddies.

I'm about as wet behind the ears as you can get (my vast array of YouTube experience aside of course). So much info it's a little daunting. My "hanging experience " caps out at hammock camping on hiking trips. Rapelling a few times but so long ago I doubt I remember how to tie a harness.

Comfort is important to me over weight (within reason) so I have been looking at the Guidos Web. It seems everyone uses something different and the sheer scope of individual mods is intimidating for this non climber. Still looking up terms when I have no clue what is being discussed.

And the climbing methods look kind of complicated to me with my lack of climbing experience. The sticks look easy but not sure I want to hump those in to some of the places I go.

I would love to find a way to try some of this stuff out (different saddles and climbing methods) before taking the rather pricey dive into gear purchase.

If there is a kind soul or two that wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers I would greatly appreciate it because this looks like a method that could conceivably replace the need for any future tree stand needs or fighting through thick brush with a climber on my back.

Anyway, pretty excited to be here to learn from you folks and appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Welcome from Michigan! Hopefully someone from GA will chime in with a nearby demo day or at least an informal gathering so you can try stuff out.

Find you and I some private land along the Chattahoochee River corridor and I’ll teach you everything you need to know. And I’ll also loan you a complete saddle system. It’ll probably be stained with mature buck blood but who cares right?

Find you and I some private land along the Chattahoochee River corridor and I’ll teach you everything you need to know. And I’ll also loan you a complete saddle system. It’ll probably be stained with mature buck blood but who cares right?

I would be excited to do so! I know several spots depending where on the hooch is convenient for you. Thank you very much!

I make my own schedule so I can adjust to your schedule for convenience as necessary :)

Welcome from Missouri! Don't be afraid to try/buy multiple climbing methods/gear and see which one you like. The we have a very healthy Classified section here: just sell what gear you didn't like and keep the rest

I would be excited to do so! I know several spots depending where on the hooch is convenient for you. Thank you very much!

I make my own schedule so I can adjust to your schedule for convenience as necessary :)
That’s mighty nice of ole @huck72412 but I have to say your mature bucks would be a lot safer if I drove up instead.

Welcome CBL. What part of the Metro area are you in. I’m in N. Dekalb/ N. Fulton area.

I'm at the corner of Marietta, Kennesaw and Paulding. I drive all over though. Anything less than 3-4 hrs is local to me. I go out to North Fulton often. I've got about 9 acres of oak trees to practice on in my backyard so I'm really looking forward to diving in to saddle hunting. Really want to get 2 different climbing methods down well. One where I can just use a rope on a preset location and another where I have to climb without prepping the tree.
Edit....if I can get it down to one method that works well in all situations so much the better.

Let’s talk!

Back