• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New in VA

TimbeHuntin

What’s up guys, I’ve contemplated a saddle for about a year now and I think I’m ready to jump in. I started hunting some public ground where leaving tree stands isn’t an option and my best tree stand for packing in is a climber so I’ve been limited on tree selection. I’m stalking the classifieds, ready to pounce. Will be referring to the forum a lot more once I have a system put together. I’m a tinkerer on a budget, so I’ll be readily trying to improve, geeking out on the newest gear and techniques, and probably some DIYing. I’m excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

I'm currently down here at Lake Anna doing some striper fishing. Sounds like I'm not far from you at the moment.

Are they biting? I slay the crappie every early spring from my kayak. It’s always fun when a striper grabs a hold of a crappie jig on 4lb test

They're pretty scattered at the moment. We got into a school of small ones and got one keeper out of them. I also caught one 30" first thing in the morning. Caught them both on topwater. Hoping this front makes it a little better tonight and tomorrow.

I've thought about trying to get a striper out of the kayak. I might give it a try this spring. I bet it is a blast.

They're pretty scattered at the moment. We got into a school of small ones and got one keeper out of them. I also caught one 30" first thing in the morning. Caught them both on topwater. Hoping this front makes it a little better tonight and tomorrow.

I've thought about trying to get a striper out of the kayak. I might give it a try this spring. I bet it is a blast.

I tried targeting them with the yak once- went all out with a bubbled cooler for a few pieces of cast-netted bait running two down lines around Stubbs bridge. Only caught a few cats. The threadfin were so thick in the area though that day that the depth finder was a solid cloud at times. I have heard of good success kayaking for them at Dike 3 if you’re brave enough to fish the turbulent water there. Should be even better with the walkway closed.

I've been coming down here for 11 or 12 years for vacation. Finally bought a 'tiny' cabin at the north end of Anna, back past the sandbar two years ago. The first year we came down here to large mouth fish but lucked into a striper and have been hooked ever since. Most people don't believe us but we catch them all year long on topwater. Even middle of summer. I've considered trying to figure out the live bait thing but we have so much fun catching them on topwater that I've never taken the time to get set up for live bait (or learn how to throw a cast net). Lol

I've been coming down here for 11 or 12 years for vacation. Finally bought a 'tiny' cabin at the north end of Anna, back past the sandbar two years ago. The first year we came down here to large mouth fish but lucked into a striper and have been hooked ever since. Most people don't believe us but we catch them all year long on topwater. Even middle of summer. I've considered trying to figure out the live bait thing but we have so much fun catching them on topwater I've never taken the time to get set up for live bait (or learn how to throw a cast net). Lol

Topwater’s definitely more exciting! Not to mention how tough it can be to catch bait at times if you don’t wake up at 3am to net them under a lantern light

Back