• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Knot/Rope method for WE Stepps

KYHunter

Someone may have already thought of this but I haven’t seen this method on here so I’ll try to explain it the best I can. In my mind it makes the most sense to call it a “reverse whoopie”

I made a locked brummel on one end of a 10ft section of 1/8th amsteel and hitched that to one side of the stepp. I then made an small infinite loop of 1/8th amsteel that fits around the other side of the step.

5154CA12-E65A-49F1-BE4D-D42B4170B118.jpeg

I then made a “dog bone” with locked brummels on both ends that had 10” of amsteel between the ends of the tapers. I then ran the 10ft section of amsteel attached to my step through the “dogbone” and out. This makes the friction action to lock in the rope in place.

I then attached a carabiner to the near end of the “dogbone”.
To attach it to the tree you just clip the carabiner into the endless loop, take out all the slack from the 10ft amsteel rope, straighten out the whoopie section by pulling the far end of the dogbone away from you, and then cam the step over.

This seems like an easier way than tying the stepp knot and would be more managable with gloves on.
What are yalls thoughts? Is there anything that I’m missing or not thought through all the way? Mo

Attachments

• 5E83B784-A890-4D2D-89E8-F01ECB9AC4A2.jpeg
    5E83B784-A890-4D2D-89E8-F01ECB9AC4A2.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 15
  • A37B4475-51F6-4A36-A706-B84D9433C1EA.jpeg
    A37B4475-51F6-4A36-A706-B84D9433C1EA.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 16
Ya, I think the weight and bulk of the carabiner would be my hold back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience whoopie slings are kinda a pain the adjust around the tree. Give it a shot and see how it works.

Just from looking at the small pics on my phone, but it’s it pretty much a UCR? Have you had a chance to try it yet?

I’ve only tried it a few times and so far so good. It is a smaller diameter amsteel (1/8) so if I’m correct the relative length of a needed bury is shortened as the diameter is shortened?

I am planning on getting a smaller carabiner to use and I also plan on incorporating this (if it proves to be reliable) into my wooden stepp platform

I’ve got a 12” bury on it right now

I would imagine with 1/8” that should be long enough. That’s what I use on my hammocks. Almost seems like the thinner diameter bites tighter too, maybe my imagination. I have a good bit of 1/8” left over, I may give this a whirl myself on my Stepps if I ever get a chance to fool with them before season ha

Back