• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Lease Help

Dmathews87

Ive been hunting public land exclusively for years now and just recently got on to a small lease with only 3-4 other people..needless to say im pretty excited about it, mostly since now i have a good spot to take my kids and we have stocked ponds with some nice bass and who doesnt love some good large mouth fishing...anyways, looking for general advice on setting up and prepping, i still plan on saddle hunting when im out there solo. I see guys like to use bolts for presets but im kinda leaning towards just using my same public setup (pack in my sticks and just setup)

Congratulations! Leases can be great but there are some downsides. My first step would be to try and pattern the other hunters on the property and see where they hunt, and if they hunt all season or just on weekends or only during the rut, etc. Then I would break it down with topo maps and aerial photos and really walk the place out thoroughly.

My advice is to find out as much as you can about the land and the other hunters while giving away as little information about yourself and your hunting as possible. On leases guys can tend to get very territorial and I have found that if you start killing good bucks, they can start changing the rules on you. Also, if you love to turkey hunt, and anyone asks you if you turkey hunt. the best answer is "nah, they sell those at Walmart", lol.

As far as stands go, probably best to use your mobile setup this season. If you find some really great spots you plan to hunt over and over, then I would set them up with bolts.

Congratulations! Leases can be great but there are some downsides. My first step would be to try and pattern the other hunters on the property and see where they hunt, and if they hunt all season or just on weekends or only during the rut, etc. Then I would break it down with topo maps and aerial photos and really walk the place out thoroughly.

My advice is to find out as much as you can about the land and the other hunters while giving away as little information about yourself and your hunting as possible. On leases guys can tend to get very territorial and I have found that if you start killing good bucks, they can start changing the rules on you. Also, if you love to turkey hunt, and anyone asks you if you turkey hunt. the best answer is "nah, they sell those at Walmart", lol.

As far as stands go, probably best to use your mobile setup this season. If you find some really great spots you plan to hunt over and over, then I would set them up with bolts.

good points. I feel i might be a bit more lucky than most on this one as the other members are one being my dad, and the others are very close family friends which is how i even got on (they had 2 spots open after long time guys moved on). one of those family friends will be mosty in texas working so i should have plenty of space and opportunity lol.

Congratulations. I am a fan of rope presets. 1. Allows you to get in a little bigger tree if needed.
2. You can pre set multiple spots for cheap.
3. Climbing in the dark on a rope for me is more quiet than sticks.
4. No one else will hunt your spots unless they hunt that way.

DRT, SRT, or JRB up that tree.

good points. I feel i might be a bit more lucky than most on this one as the other members are one being my dad, and the others are very close family friends which is how i even got on (they had 2 spots open after long time guys moved on). one of those family friends will be mosty in texas working so i should have plenty of space and opportunity lol.
Oh, yeah, you should be golden with that situation. How any acres?

Congratulations. I am a fan of rope presets. 1. Allows you to get in a little bigger tree if needed.

these techniques are on my radar, just gotta research a bit more and see if its for me...not overly worried about anyone hunting my spots though

Also, if you love to turkey hunt, and anyone asks you if you turkey hunt. the best answer is "nah, they sell those at Walmart", lol.

Why's that? So they don't try to horn in on your turkey hunts or spots?

I dont love to turkey hunt lol, but only because ive never tried to turkey hunt....My step dad gave me a really old box call that was his dads and i always feel bad about not using it but i dont even know where to start lol

Why's that? So they don't try to horn in on your turkey hunts or spots?
I have a friend whose reputation as a turkey hunter precedes him. He has been turned down by several clubs when they found out he was an avid turkey hunter.

I have a friend whose reputation as a turkey hunter precedes him. He has been turned down by several clubs when they found out he was an avid turkey hunter.

Oh, so it's more they don't want a "ringer" coming in and killing all their birds? Makes sense.

The only thing turkey hunters like less than gobblers that won't gobble is competent competition.

I’m primarily private land hunter and the ropes are really caching my eye these days, don’t really want to spend more so maybe that’s a 2024 plan.

Did a central Ohio lease for three years. We did figure some things out, but in the last season talked to a guy who traps the property and he relayed some really counterintuitive stuff the deer do. So be open minded and if possible early on get some vantage points for high level clues to the more focused setups. And if this is farm country watch the visibility of your access, especially in beans years where deer can keep an eye on you.

Back