• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New linemens climbing system

TheTracker

I came up with a good idea for a linemans belt but you could also rappel down with the belt in a emergency situation. Ill post pics after i make it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Climb with a linemens belt? I think I'm gonna need more info, lol, look forward to the pics. Is this gonna be another suspense thread?

I've been trying to figure out if I wanted one of those....It seems like it would be great for climbing with aiders/stirrups as it would be easier to advance up the tree than a regular tether.

I had thought about something like this last year but never ended up messing with it. Shouldn't be too hard to make something similar. It would be a good option for sure and very safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks pretty nice. My thought was that we could rig one up pretty easily also.

Climbing a tree is the most dangerous part of saddle hunting. Looking forward to seeing how we can make this part of saddle hunting even safer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure this wouldn't be a decent tether option for "leaners". It would relieve some hip pinch if either side of your saddle were tied in 8-10" apart. You lose the ability to swing around the tree freely. But if you're tied in at eye level with a short bridge, its not all that easy anyway.

This would be like the original webbing tether that comes with the guido's web.

I got something...

Regular linesmans belt setup (mine is 9mm rope with a Ropeman. Add a short tether with a prusik and two attachments (I am aware of the dangers of side loading).

Linesmans belt is running through the biners instead of around the tree. The rope with the prusik only runs around the back of the tree instead of wrapping all the way around it.

The prusik adjusts the length of the rope that goes behind the tree.

When unloaded, it easily advances up the tree. You can do a full hang from it (provided your LB is good).

A secondary safety connection would have to go from your harness, through the right carabiner and clip to the other one. If your LB connection failed, the backup would cinch the rope down and catch you.

IMG_2831.JPG

I think you guys are onto something cool here.....got my creative juices flowing I may need to experiment with this!

I think this would be awesome for spur climbing. I also think you should probably rig this up with dynamic rope since it really is meant to catch you.

I think this would be awesome for spur climbing. I also think you should probably rig this up with dynamic rope since it really is meant to catch you.
I have some dynamic laying around. You think it would make a difference on these short lengths? Would you think dynamic for both sections? (Linesman and back of tree)?

At one point I had thought about just tethering to the tree and moving it up with my lineman's belt as a secondary hookup. I haven't tried it but its just one more rope to move up with you. I have never fallen on a lineman's belt alone tho, so i dont know what really happens.

This is basically a tether and lineman's belt in one, which is cool.

I have some dynamic laying around. You think it would make a difference on these short lengths? Would you think dynamic for both sections? (Linesman and back of tree)?

The commercial ones are just made out of straps, which have no give whatsoever.

At one point I had thought about just tethering to the tree and moving it up with my lineman's belt as a secondary hookup. I haven't tried it but its just one more rope to move up with you. I have never fallen on a lineman's belt alone tho, so i dont know what really happens.

This is basically a tether and lineman's belt in one, which is cool.
The benefit to have a separate Tether and LB as you climb is that your LB steadies you as you raise your tether. Falling with an LB would be bad.

Back