• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Member and potential Saddle Hunter - Virginia

predatorhunter

Guys, I have considered the idea of saddle hunting for a couple years now but the expense and unknown has been a barrier. I am looking at the idea yet again. I have even bought 8 Wild Edge stepps to see how setting them up compares to my hang-on and climber.
I get so tired of setup and breaking down my climber after every hunt, looking for something a little more streamline. With that said, I have not settled on a platform yet.
What is easier to use as a platform for a newbie
1) 4 Wild Edge steps around the tree
2) Ring of Steps - Don't think I like this option
3) Predator platform - Will this option limit any shots? I always envisioned being able to "walk" around the tree

Then the dreaded task of picking a saddle. Mantis seems really cool, but I hate waiting and need practice before season. Kestrel or Kite are also interesting.

I shall continue reading. I got thru the first 18 of 165 pages of the infamous "A Secret"

Welcome aboard. The WE’s are hard to beat for compactness and strength.

I hail from Midlothian.

Welcome! I'm in Midlothian as well and have WE Stepps, and waiting on my Predator and Mantis. This will be all new for me as well. I'm planning to use the knaider/swaider method on my stepps. I have all the materials, just need to get it made. Watch the videos on it if you haven't found that method yet. I feel you on that climber! I have been hunting out of a Summit Viper for years and years and I'm really looking forward to not humping that through the woods anymore.

Welcome! I'm in Midlothian as well and have WE Stepps, and waiting on my Predator and Mantis. This will be all new for me as well. I'm planning to use the knaider/swaider method on my stepps. I have all the materials, just need to get it made. Watch the videos on it if you haven't found that method yet. I feel you on that climber! I have been hunting out of a Summit Viper for years and years and I'm really looking forward to not humping that through the woods anymore.
I have seen the videos on the knaider/swaider. On the fence if I want to go that route or just an aider. I have not ordered a saddle yet, still trying to decide which one I want.

Welcome to the site! Don’t think you could go wrong. I found a ring of ameristeps to be zero learning curve...... but that said if you already have stepps & are comfortable that’s a little bigger footprint for platform. I’d start there & you could always pick up a platform here from someone switching gears.

Welcome to the site. Just my option seems like the ring of steps it's a little easier to set up,those WE steps are rock solid, waiting on the predator platform

Welcome to the site! I'm new to this too and I'm experimenting before season starts to figure out what I like best. I was using 3 WE steps as a platform but just starting putting up 2 steps as the platform and found that it was easier, took less time and I could do everything I needed to do to get a shot all the way around the tree. That's the fun in trying things out and figuring out what works best for you.

The Welcome Wagon takes a stop in Old Dominion to pick up a fellow traveler. Climb on in!

75 Virginia is for Lovers bumper stickers pasted on the wagon and we're off!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome from Missouri. If you are considering going with an aider for your WE stepps, red squirrel's aider might work for you.

Welcome to the site! I'm new to this too and I'm experimenting before season starts to figure out what I like best. I was using 3 WE steps as a platform but just starting putting up 2 steps as the platform and found that it was easier, took less time and I could do everything I needed to do to get a shot all the way around the tree. That's the fun in trying things out and figuring out what works best for you.
Interesting that you decreased the number. I am still practicing with the WE stepps and will figure out the "platform" using these when I get something I can dangle from.

Back