• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from Michigan

cdg097

Hey all, Chad here from Brighton, Michigan. I primarily hunt private land in Clare Co, but would like to do some more public land hunting as well. I’ve had two spine surgeries since 2010 from injuries sustained in the Army, and I’ve seen my ability to sit in a traditional treestand (especially in colder temps) drop to about 4-5 hours at a time. I’m really hoping that a saddle (have not purchased yet) will allow me to stay in the woods longer. I first heard of/saw a saddle this past year at a hunting show, John and Bobby were there and I spent a good amount of time talking with them about it. Guys, if you see this, it was at the Novi, MI show, and I appreciated the time.

Sorry for the long intro, and this will probably get quite a few different answers, but if anyone has suggestions as to which direction to go to help with my situation, I’d appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Chad

Last edited:
Welcome from northern Wisconsin. This will be my first year hanging at elevation with a saddle. Last year I did multiple hunts from the ground and a sit drag and did not have any problem with doing them for quite a while. I also have had a compression fracture in my lumbar spine. My main thing is I just need to stay warm. The reason I stayed on the ground last year was so that I could use my Iwom. This year for late season I am going to be putting the bridge of the saddle through the pockets of the Iwom and try that out. I know that my feet will be constrained a little bit but it is better to still be in the tree than have to go home cold. No problems sitting or leaning for myself. Good luck and I hope we can get your questions answered. Thank you for your service. JJ. 91B

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site and thank you for your service!..... to me sitting in a hang on was never very comfortable I have no problem sitting comfortably in a saddle all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your service! Welcome to the site, just read a bunch & ease into it. I think you can definitely be comfortable in all day sits. Don’t feel like you have to hurry & own everything now, right before season starts.

Welcome from SE michigan. Lots of good information on the forum here. I'm a new member myself but decided to jump into saddle hunting this year. I'm currently waiting on a full set up from Thethrd.

@cdg097 if you post some general whereabouts maybe someone local could let you try a saddle. I have a size 1 kestrel and a DIY fleece saddle, be happy to try and help out a vet. I'm in Royal Joke and hold membership at Bluewater sportsmens club.

@cdg097 if you post some general whereabouts maybe someone local could let you try a saddle. I have a size 1 kestrel and a DIY fleece saddle, be happy to try and help out a vet. I'm in Royal Joke and hold membership at Bluewater sportsmens club.

Scott, thats a good point, location would probably help! Live in Brighton, my property is in Clare County. Unfortunately, the issue I’m running into is that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for us big boys haha. The VA isn’t doing anything to help me out for pain or to fix their screw-ups on my surgeries, so 99% of what I do that works is out of my pocket. The biggest help? The gym. No heavy lifts, and as much functional movement based stuff as I can tolerate, but I’m not a small guy. 6 ft, 245-250, 38” waist. If I’m reading correctly, I need a Size 2 in a Kestrel, correct?

Scott, thats a good point, location would probably help! Live in Brighton, my property is in Clare County. Unfortunately, the issue I’m running into is that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for us big boys haha. The VA isn’t doing anything to help me out for pain or to fix their screw-ups on my surgeries, so 99% of what I do that works is out of my pocket. The biggest help? The gym. No heavy lifts, and as much functional movement based stuff as I can tolerate, but I’m not a small guy. 6 ft, 245-250, 38” waist. If I’m reading correctly, I need a Size 2 in a Kestrel, correct?
Sounds like we're built the pretty much the same. I have a size 2 Kestrel and couldn't be happier with it.

Hey all, Chad here from Brighton, Michigan. I primarily hunt private land in Clare Co, but would like to do some more public land hunting as well. I’ve had two spine surgeries since 2010 from injuries sustained in the Army, and I’ve seen my ability to sit in a traditional treestand (especially in colder temps) drop to about 4-5 hours at a time. I’m really hoping that a saddle (have not purchased yet) will allow me to stay in the woods longer. I first heard of/saw a saddle this past year at a hunting show, John and Bobby were there and I spent a good amount of time talking with them about it. Guys, if you see this, it was at the Novi, MI show, and I appreciated the time.

Sorry for the long intro, and this will probably get quite a few different answers, but if anyone has suggestions as to which direction to go to help with my situation, I’d appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Chad
Hey Chad get ahold of me when you get around Clare I’m 20-25 minutes from there were about the same size I can let you try out my kestrel see if it will work for you Duane

Back