• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from SE Louisiana

SwampHunter70068

just wanted to say hi, hope to learn a lot from everyone here. I hunt the East and South East areas of Louisiana, which most of it is swamp area. Avid predator hunter (coyote, bobcat, etc.) and WhiteTail hunter. I am regulated to mostly public game areas to hunt, and I'm thinking that going the saddle way will open up more areas for me to hunt, especially the swampy areas that a ladder stand is not feasible and its hard to get into much less with a climber. I hunt on a budget and I already have climber rated ropes and tubular webbing, loaders of real carabiners (not cheapo key chain carabiners) thanks to my time in the service. Thinking of starting out with the sit/drag and customizing it from there. I don't want to invest to heavily just yet.

Welcome

I lived in Louisiana until I was about 35. Grew up in Donaldsonville. Live just north of Birmingham Al now.
The sit drag is a good way to get into saddle hunting on the cheap but some of these newer saddles have adjustments that can make a difference in comfort. So don’t give up on saddle hunting if the sitdrag doesn’t fit you right. Saddle hunting is very personalized, so the more adjustments, the better for a beginner until you get in saddle shape and learn how adjustments on your bridge and tether work to find the sweet spot for you.

Welcome! I was just in LaPlace on Tuesday. I have a Kestrel and have a mantis on the way. I would still say I'm relatively new to saddle hunting, but I think I've caught on pretty quick. It's pretty easy in my opinion. If you'd like to check out one of my Saddles we could get together. There's some other guys that are pretty close to us. @Swampfox is in the Ponchatoula area I believe and has been making some of his own Saddles, so he may be a good resource to reach out to. I have not used a sit drag, but @g2outdoors has some pretty good videos on mods that he did to his, they're simple enough. If there's anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site, plenty of guys in your neck of the woods to get you on the right track before you spend a dime!

Welcome SwampHunter! I’m also originally from south LA. I now hunt east TX.

You should check out the rock harness/ fleece saddle option. That would be a very inexpensive comfortable way to start out. I’ll try to find the threads with that and Dave’s video. I built one of the these and was going to use it for this coming season until they came out with the Mantis.

Found it, here ya go;
DIY Fleece Saddle DaveT Inspired
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...eece-Saddle-DaveT-Inspired.7559/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m from Ponchatoula, currently residing in Prairieville until my house gets built and I can move back home.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Maurepaus swamp and Joyce WMA. You won’t regret going to a saddle to hunt those deep swamp areas.

Nice, I access the Maurepaus swamp via Garyville, don't own a boat so.....im limited......I loves these areas but I also hit up Sandy Hollow a good bit

Nice, I access the Maurepaus swamp via Garyville, don't own a boat so.....im limited......I loves these areas but I also hit up Sandy Hollow a good bit

I made a few hunts in Maurapas. One summer I checked out the Bonnie Carrie spillway, but ended up getting into a club and never hunted it. Snake fell out the tree above my head in there. It was thick. Seemed like it had potential. May be something to look into if you don’t have a boat.

Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too. I'm from Thibodaux. My son and I received our Aero Hunter Kites a couple of weeks ago and got them figured out pretty quick. I also have an unmodified SitDrag that my wife uses to hunt from the ground. If you'd like to check them out let me know.

Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too. I'm from Thibodaux. My son and I received our Aero Hunter Kites a couple of weeks ago and got them figured out pretty quick. I also have an unmodified SitDrag that my wife uses to hunt from the ground. If you'd like to check them out let me know.

Welcome as well, I have a good friend just up the road in Choupic that is hunting from a saddle. He’s currently using a sit drag but looking to get into an Aero hunter saddle. Lets us know how you like your Kite.

Saddle hunting is making the swamps of Louisiana a little more hunter friendly.

Welcome! Im from Gonzales, I hunt Maurepas Swamp and Joyce, among others. Youll find a saddle very useful in these swamps. I also started with a sit drag, i hacked it up and find it way more comfortable now.
c566a82d885249a47e454032950acbf4.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Back