• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member - South-East Michigan

tmattson

Hi all, new member here, looking to get my first saddle, had no clue there was so much info on this.
Live in Michigan (south-east area). Plan on ordering a kit as this is new to me, lots of years with stands, ladders, and climbers, but the saddle
has really got my attention.
Man though, looks like the wait time for ordering new requires patience. Starting to wonder if I even order soon it may be questionable for October opener here in Michigan.
I am 5'10'', 180 pounds, slim build. 34 - 36 is my waist size for most clothing (more to the 36 size for) - I go with medium or large?
Looks like a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site, looking forward to it.

Welcome from Arkansas - I'm 6' 185 (34 waist) and have a large Mantis.

Re: the wait time ...either order fast, or run fast :tearsofjoy:

Welcome from Middle Tennessee.

You can always do what I did; use a tree harness that has lineman's loop and order a sit drag for $30 from amazon. You will have it tomorrow and can start practicing! Good luck this season!

Or keep checking the classifies here. Act quick and you could snag something good without the 2 month wait time.

Welcome from another SE Michigander! Like mentioned above, get something on order now and rig up a sit drag, fleece saddle, or DIY something like the Wraptor. This gives you something to practice with now and you’ll always have a backup or something to loan out.

Welcome from Maryland! You can get your order in now & pick something different up in classifieds & just keep the one you prefer........ you’ll get most if not all of your money back & wont wonder which of your final selections fit you best. You’re gonna need time to get familiar with a saddle & your setup anyway, you don’t want do be doing that in October...

Welcome from Mid-Michigan! If you order now you should have time to figure it all out before season. Shipping times are getting much better than they have been. You could probably get by with either a medium or a large, I would lean more towards the large though so you have room for layering as the temps drop.
Also, keep an eye out for saddle demos in the area. I'll be doing one at the BHA rendezvous in Baldwin in August and I'm sure there will be at least one more before season starts. These are great opportunities to get some hands on experience and guidance from experienced saddle hunters, it can really shorten the learning curve.
If you're ever in the Midland area I'd be happy to show you the ropes (see what I did there :grinning:). I have a medium Mantis and a couple other saddles you could try.

About ready to pull the trigger on the TETHRD saddle starter kit, and adding a pack of mixed T-hooks (can use these on the saddle loop correct?), and also Ropeman 1 Ascender (will use this on line belt only, not the tether). Thoughts - enough to get me started? Or while learning should I forget the Ropeman?

Hi all, new member here, looking to get my first saddle, had no clue there was so much info on this.
Live in Michigan (south-east area). Plan on ordering a kit as this is new to me, lots of years with stands, ladders, and climbers, but the saddle
has really got my attention.
Man though, looks like the wait time for ordering new requires patience. Starting to wonder if I even order soon it may be questionable for October opener here in Michigan.
I am 5'10'', 180 pounds, slim build. 34 - 36 is my waist size for most clothing (more to the 36 size for) - I go with medium or large?
Looks like a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site, looking forward to it.
Welcome from Grand Blanc
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

About ready to pull the trigger on the TETHRD saddle starter kit, and adding a pack of mixed T-hooks (can use these on the saddle loop correct?), and also Ropeman 1 Ascender (will use this on line belt only, not the tether). Thoughts - enough to get me started? Or while learning should I forget the Ropeman?

You probably don’t need the t hooks but the ropeman is a great choice, it makes using a linesman belt super easy compared to a prussic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, been reading more and more, looked at the Aero Flex kit also. Not sure now.
Looks like if you try the Flex in a clean environment, and it does not fit, send it back for a full refund.
Really not sure if I will be a leaner or sitter, my guess is back and forth. I rarely ever will sit all day.
Giving the wait times for these, what I order is likely what I will stick with. Decisions ....

Welcome from Monroe county. If we're close let me know what I can do to help. We are the same size and I own a Large Mantis a size 1 Kestrel Flex which I swapped from webbing to rope bridge after receiving it with no questions asked. Fortunately, I was one of the first to order so I got it swapped out quick before the backlog built up.

Last edited:
Back