• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Marfis39

Hi I'm a new member from southern Illinois and a female hunter. Just started hunting out of my saddle and have been 2 times. I'm not very comfortable setting in it yet and i know its a learning curve. Not sure im going to like it. Interested if there are other lady hunters out there using saddles. Thank's

Welcome from Virginia. Give the saddle some time. Keep playing with tether height and bridge length and you'll find that sweet spot. It took me a few sits but once I found the settings I liked everything felt way better. Hang in there (pun completely intentional).

Welcome from Maryland!! There are a few here @longbowwoman can you offer suggestions?? Leaning is going to be more comfortable than sitting w/ less adjustment. But tether height & bridge length has a lot to do w/ it.

Im trying lol . I use hawk helium sticks and out on a limb plantform. I don't go real high in tree maybe 10-12'. I'm used to ladder stands where you dont have to work so hard at hunting. Lol i have to get used to that. Its work for sure but kinda nice when you get uo the tree.

Welcome from Maryland!! There are a few here @longbowwoman can you offer suggestions?? Leaning is going to be more comfortable than sitting w/ less adjustment. But tether height & bridge length has a lot to do w/ it.
I have the tethrd mantis and the bridge length is i guess you could say its factory. Si how would you shorten it.

Sounds like a solid setup! What saddle are you running?
Tethrd mantis. I order a lg and it might be too big on me i had to zip tie the saddle to my belt cause it hangs off me. I think that is giving me hip pinch too.

Welcome. When I started climbing this past summer I was terrified at being up 10 feet head height not knowing if this equipment would hold me. After a bit of experience, I was comfortable at 15 to 18 feet head height. Only recently, I was at 27 feet head height for the first time and felt a bit uneasy but at the second climb the uneasiness is gone.

Welcome from Virginia. Give the saddle some time. Keep playing with tether height and bridge length and you'll find that sweet spot. It took me a few sits but once I found the settings I liked everything felt way better. Hang in there (pun completely intentional).
The bridge length is fixed from tethrd and not adjustable. I dont want to cut it off just yet but i can tell its too long for me

Welcome. When I started climbing this past summer I was terrified at being up 10 feet head height not knowing if this equipment would hold me. After a bit of experience, I was comfortable at 15 to 18 feet head height. Only recently, I was at 27 feet head height for the first time and felt a bit uneasy but at the second climb the uneasiness is gone.
Yeah the first time leaning back was a bit scary. lol the height doesn't bother me too much but i have trouble climbing the sticks. My leg strength is not very good but i manage the climb. I just have to ajust in my head 12' is about as far as i can climb for now and just enjoy the hunt.

The bridge length is fixed from tethrd and not adjustable. I dont want to cut it off just yet but i can tell its too long for me
You could run one side of the bridge through the bridge loop and back to the other side and clipped with a locking carabiner to the bridge loop to shorten it to 1/3. I do this all the time with a dynema sling on my sitdrag.

Last edited:
Yeah the first time leaning back was a bit scary. lol the height doesn't bother me too much but i have trouble climbing the sticks. My leg strength is not very good but i manage the climb. I just have to ajust in my head 12' is about as far as i can climb for now and just enjoy the hunt.
I shot a doe a few weeks ago at 12 to 13 foot platform height. The deer did not know I was there.
My legs also felt weak climbing the sticks so I gravitated to SRT/RADS. It is much easier on the legs since you can decide your step length while climbing and are not locked into a certain step length.

Last edited:
You could run one side of the bridge through the bridge loop and back to the other side and clipped with a locking carabiner to the bridge loop to shorten it to 1/3. I do this all the time with a dynema sling on my sitdrag.
I might try that. Thanks for the info

I shot a doe a few weeks ago at 12 to 13 foot platform height. The deer did not know I was there.
My legs also felt weak climbing the sticks so I gravitated to SRT/RADS. It is much easier on the legs since you can decide your step length while climbing and are not locked into a certain step length.
I might try them later. I've spent so much money invested in this set up. My husband thinks I'm crazy. Lol

Hi. I’m so glad I’m not the only woman here. Lol. It takes a while to play with the saddle and make adjustments in the bridge and tether UNTILL you get comfortable. A fact is us women have wider hips and hip pinch is common, for me anyways. I have owned a Mantis, Kite, Kestrel, JX3, Guidos Web and now I am using the aero hunter Evolution. I chose this one because there is a belt to it that actually cinches at your waist. The saddle part is generous and doesn’t “ride” up like the others. Also it has padded Legs straps that are also attached To the saddle. There are way less pressure points this way and I can hunt all day without squirming, cursing and adjusting. Lol. Comfort is different for women. Also you will have to see what is best for you as far as how you pack in to hunt. You know, backpack, no backpack, pouches on the saddle, climbing stick method and carry. All that. Any questions feel free to ask. I hope I can be of help to you. Thank you and welcome!

First, Welcome!

If you are already experiencing hip pinch, shortening the ridge will most likely make that worse. It takes a little bit to get into "saddle shape" as some call it. The first sit or two of the year I will feel a little discomfort on my hips but, it quickly goes away. You probably wont like to hear this but, different saddles fit different people. Some people were never able to get comfortable in a Mantis, some loved it right away. I would keep adjusting your tether height and the position of the saddle on your body to see if you can find something that works for you. I would also try a longer bridge before a shorter one. Little adjustments make a big difference.

@longbowwoman, I'm glad to see the Evo is working for you.

Back