• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Method Saddle and SRT

seuss79

Just got my hand ascender yesterday. I'm going to attempt SRT this year. The Method saddle has gotten my attention. I skimmed the 35 minute video review. For those experienced in SRT climbing, do you think there would be any problems using this new saddle?

Just got my hand ascender yesterday. I'm going to attempt SRT this year. The Method saddle has gotten my attention. I skimmed the 35 minute video review. For those experienced in SRT climbing, do you think there would be any problems using this new saddle?
If you are going to srt with it you need to get the adjustable bridge! But other than that it sounds like it will be fine!

@cedar paul tested the Method for 1 sticking and really liked it for that, obviously SRT is a bit different and I’m not an SRT guy but from the standpoint of supporting you mid-air on the way up it works great with the bottom panel deployed. All of our saddles come with an adjustable bridge so you’re covered on the front. Thank you for your interest in the product!

The method saddle looks very similar to my DIY Yellow Jacket saddle. It works great. For SRT, comfortable sitting is key. A big wide sling seat is golden. I made some SRT videos recently which might give you some ideas. I am not a professional videographer, just a documentarian and teacher.

The Method is great. No issus with SRT or any other climbing IMO. My review of the saddle is coming, but so far very impressed.

@Chrighton - looking forward to your review, and in particular your findings of how it is during SRT ascent and rappelling.

I’m wondering about rappelling and the pros & cons of using the d-ring on the Austria-Alpin buckle (if you got that model) vs using a shortened up bridge.

I’m also very curious about how you like it in comparison to your Recon, and which you’d prefer if you only had one saddle.

@Chrighton - looking forward to your review, and in particular your findings of how it is during SRT ascent and rappelling.

I’m wondering about rappelling and the pros & cons of using the d-ring on the Austria-Alpin buckle (if you got that model) vs using a shortened up bridge.

I’m also very curious about how you like it in comparison to your Recon, and which you’d prefer if you only had one saddle.
Why the concern over rappeling with a shortened bridge? If you can reach the handle or the autoblock knot if using an ATC or other similar devices, the bridge length doesn't matter. Using an ATC it is common for rock climbers to use a rappel extension so your long bridge is perfect.

I would question the buckle. Your bridge is designed to support your weight. Why not use it? One broken buckle and your life could be ruined. Not worth it, IMHO.

I tried an Astro pin buckle on my JX3 for rappelling. It did not work.
You want the tension on your butt not your waist

When it is on your waist the saddle will ride up. I suspect that will occur with a method too.

I really doubt it is a safety issue. That astri pin buckle on a waist belt is really not a week link. Rated at I think 20 plus kn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I have not had the chance to sit much in the Method yet. I put that same buckle on another saddle (older TX-5 Xpand) and based on that I would agree with @Ontariofarmer its a bit awkward clipping in there and having all your weight supported by the waist belt/buckle - the saddle rides up. If you lean back enough, which may be a good rapel position you can get it comfortable, but if you have to stop and retreive sticks/platform it may me uncomfortable to do so. I'll have to play with it more.
Its still a good buckle, in my opinion. I'm still not sure how I'm going to use the d-ring. More to come on this.

Why the concern over rappeling with a shortened bridge? If you can reach the handle or the autoblock knot if using an ATC or other similar devices, the bridge length doesn't matter. Using an ATC it is common for rock climbers to use a rappel extension so your long bridge is perfect.

I would question the buckle. Your bridge is designed to support your weight. Why not use it? One broken buckle and your life could be ruined. Not worth it, IMHO.

@bj139 - I don’t have any concern about rappelling with a shortened bridge. I’ve done it with a Madrock Safeguard in my Recon and in my Phantom - no issues. I was just curious if the d-ring on the waist buckle would be a preferable attachment point.

You and others make a good point about the waist belt not being the intended load path for supporting your weight in a saddle - that’s the job of the bridge - so it makes sense that the rappelling would be better when clipping into the bridge than the d-ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back