• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New or Used?

TNSTAAFL

SH Member
If I buy a saddle from a commercial vendor, should I presume that it is brand new? Or should I assume that there is a risk of the chance that it has been previously sold to another customer and returned, possibly even hunted out of?

I guess there's not much chance of this getting answered. It's just that the other threat got me wondering if re-selling "gently used" saddles as if they are new is standard practice. Seems like it shouldn't be...kinda like gently used underwear.

Accepting a return as a form of customer service as a business practice is one thing. Assuming you can turn around and sell that item as if it is new, even if it had never been used, is a wholly different thing, and one that I would think brings on heightened liabilities. Once it's out the door of the shop I would think it's resale life, from the firm, is over. Just my view. I don't want to buy/wear any of y'all's returned diapers.

If I buy a saddle from a commercial vendor, should I presume that it is brand new? Or should I assume that there is a risk of the chance that it has been previously sold to another customer and returned, possibly even hunted out of?

I guess there's not much chance of this getting answered. It's just that the other threat got me wondering if re-selling "gently used" saddles as if they are new is standard practice. Seems like it shouldn't be...kinda like gently used underwear.

Accepting a return as a form of customer service as a business practice is one thing. Assuming you can turn around and sell that item as if it is new, even if it had never been used, is a wholly different thing, and one that I would think brings on heightened liabilities. Once it's out the door of the shop I would think it's resale life, from the firm, is over. Just my view. I don't want to buy/wear any of y'all's returned diapers.
I tend to agree. Maybe sell them as "opened package" items.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that stores or companies sell returned treestands as there is too much risk.

Ok. You have my attention. Just curious, what would make you say that. Do you have an example of this happening to you? And what brand of saddle.

Ok. You have my attention. Just curious, what would make you say that. Do you have an example of this happening to you? And what brand of saddle.

No example here. Just got to thinking after reading another thread on here. Brand doesn't really matter. It was brought up that a saddle might be returnable if in a "sale-able" condition. Made me wonder if companies would actually sell a saddle that had been returned, whether actually used or not.

Cabala's has their Bargain Cave selling items that have been returned with no issues. If someone buys a saddle and finds he needs another size and returns it, the saddle isn't damaged and the manufacturer should likely sell it at a discount. I'm sure there are a lot of folks that would jump at the chance to buy a virtually new saddle for 10-20% off. ;)

No example here. Just got to thinking after reading another thread on here. Brand doesn't really matter. It was brought up that a saddle might be returnable if in a "sale-able" condition. Made me wonder if companies would actually sell a saddle that had been returned, whether actually used or not.
After reading that post, it was pretty apparent that it could be returned “unused”, which is understandable. Big box stores have more lenient return policies because they deal in ridiculous quantities of merchandise and they usually get credited from the vendor. When the distributor is the vendor as well and most transactions or customers are a onsey twosey purchaser, it makes it difficult to have such lenient return policies. I can see how many people would buy a saddle just to try it out because they cannot test drive them anywhere, saddle hunting is not for the masses, the company could potentially have to sit on “used” merchandise that they could not resale.

Reminds me of the Rodney Carrington joke about walmart... Maam I bought these diapers and they already had s&:t in them. Were real sorry about that sir go back and get yourself a new pack.

I personally think, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t buy a brand spanking new saddle again. It certainly seems the gently used market is robust enough to allow a purchaser to get a dang nice product used.

I feel the same about bows. Always buy used and have never had even the slightest problem.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that stores or companies sell returned treestands as there is too much risk.

I know for a fact that any treestand returned to bass pro is either destroyed or sent back to the manufacturer. They do not sell “open box” treestands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would hope they would not send out a returned item as new, since most likely it has been tried out. But it would be so easy for a manufacturer to repackage it and send it on its way again as new. I for one will not buy something at the store that has been opened, I've done it in the past to find out some hardware or something is missing.
I will be getting a new saddle in a few weeks, it better be new, because that's what I ordered. But the manufacturer has the ability to completely repackage it without the consumer knowing. But I'm sure any company doing it would completely check said item out.

So obviously we want new if we pay full price! So if it looks new and smells new than it must be new right? If you can't tell than who can tell... It's just like going to a store and finding a brand new pair of Levi's that have been tried on forty times.. who knows what scum bag has entertained them? its life! I don't think Tethrd or Kestrel is going to send you a saddle with a blood stain but one that was tried on and didn't fit like the odd pair of Levi's is still new.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I understand everyone's concern here but there are a ton of items that we try out and consider them "new". Think of clothing purchases, boots, bow purchases, car purchases, guns, the list goes on and on. I don't necessarily want to place my foot in some other person's sweaty boot and pay new price but we do. I wouldn't want to try something on, have it not fit and be stuck with it either. If stores were the only place that sold saddles, we wouldn't think twice about having a store associate open a box for us then try out the saddle and go about our business. An opened box discount would be nice but truthfully if it looks new and is as good as new, what's the issue? I'd hope a saddle company's quality control would pick up on a badly returned saddle and not let it go back out the door.

Last edited:
Back