• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New property help

I posted on here a couple months ago and got some awesome intel on a new property for my buddy. This is an old family farm from my great aunt that ive never hunted. It sounds like the fields are standing corn this year. Ill be coming from oit west so wont have time to scout until the day i get there. Ive never had the opportunity to hunt standing corn either. What stands out and for what winds? I like the saddle in the middle of that long ridge but dont know if i should hunt below it or on it. Any other spots look good? How boit the river bottom?

You have access to everything the map? Or just what's outlined in green? You've got some good inside corners around the crop fields for evening hunts as well as some great rut cruising spots up high if you're looking for a hike. Really defined saddle on the left half of the screen.. looks like a hike, but if that's not a barrier for you, you've got tons of places on this map...

See that little knob right below your mouse pointer ? Start there & show us pics of your buck cruising that thin strip b/w the pond & inside corner during the rut.....
...agree with this too... hunting one side of the ridge leading to that knob that overlooks the water... looks very bucky to me

Ive read aboit inside corners but not sure i get the idea, never had ground like this before with corn. What is the benefit of them and where on the map are u referencing

Essentially i
Ive read aboit inside corners but not sure i get the idea, never had ground like this before with corn. What is the benefit of them and where on the map are u referencing
Essentially if a buck is making his way around the field, coming into feed, he's going to stay in cover as long as possible so he's going to walk just inside the edge of the thicker cover before going into the field... this will apply with standing corn a bit but the standing corn also supplies cover, so really it's more applicable to cut corn or beans where the deer no longer has cover once they've entered the field... if hes making his way around the field. That inside corner provides a pinch point where hes likely to get near as hes working the field edge

Cool, im pumped. Sounds like there is one other hunter on here. Its 200 acres and ill be in on Nov 1 thru 8. A 200" was killes right up the road 2 years ago. Would you guys mess with the river bottom? Any wind base locations that stick out for a NW or SW?

See that little knob right below your mouse pointer ? Start there & show us pics of your buck cruising that thin strip b/w the pond & inside corner during the rut.....
I like that point too. Water, corn field, good cover and what looks like a bit of a funnel to the NE. I know it sounds nuts, but that goofy chunk of grass extending into the field is a great spot too (at least around here) especially if the crops are still in and in corn. You could sneak in from the north at the house or farm buildings with a SW wind and at least look for sign or a bed. They may use the corn as cover between that grass waterway and the woods. Sometimes those little waterways have standing water enough to keep a deer or two there.

Last edited:
I’m a total novice at reading land but been busting my butt trying to learn it this year.

My 2 cents would be to look around those areas where the topo lines come close together and especially where they come to points. Might be bedding and/or travel routes around those areas especially on the leeward slope from the wind direction. I’m sure there’s some route they’re taking to do down to the field there too at some point. Maybe a good staging area somewhere just in from the field too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would u try and get there and hunt the point in the morning or just hunt evening movement from it as the deer move to crops?

I’d sit there all day for a couple days in early November. That corn very well could be out by the time you hunt it.... if that other guy pressures it a bunch you might have to scout & find good bedding. There’s a ton of good places there , that one just jumps out!

I also like that East facing hillside facing the field I could see bucks cruising 1/3 down on a WNW wind and also cutting the doe trails going into the field during rut. Also on that same hillside looks like there might be some benches along the 700 line right before the field worth checking out.

I also like that East facing hillside facing the field I could see bucks cruising 1/3 down on a WNW wind and also cutting the doe trails going into the field during rut. Also on that same hillside looks like there might be some benches along the 700 line right before the field worth checking out.
I would end up scouting as i go but would the 800 line at the saddle be a good start.

I would end up scouting as i go but would the 800 line at the saddle be a good start.
Should be a little lower around 1/3 of the way down right before the hill starts getting really steep, but you should check the saddle out first for sign, it will come down to what you see with boots on the ground.

Should be a little lower around 1/3 of the way down right before the hill starts getting really steep, but you should check the saddle out first for sign, it will come down to what you see with boots on the ground.

Back