• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Saddle Hunter: ROS or Platform?

BPAUGH777

SH Member
It appears that price is about a wash as it relates to either system, so not to worried about that aspect. Would really just appreciate any opinions, and thoughts from experience on the best avenue to proceed down. Thanks in advance for the help!

can o worms! I'm a ROS guy. I always said if I'm going to carry a platform I will just carry a loc on, until i seen a predator its so small. there are many pluses to both systems

If funds allow, buy both, try them in the yard extensively, figure out which one you like, sell the other.
If not, use the search button and get to reading on here. There are plenty of folks on both sides of this one, and it has been talked about at length. Spend a couple hours reading, and compare that to your body type, hunting style, etc and you should be able to make a good choice.

This thread will just turn into folks arguing for either side...

This highly depends on your choice of saddles and your individual preference. It’s really worth trying both. I would try to make one of the many demo days. If you can’t make it to one of them you could make both out of wood just to try at ground level. Then there is the easiest method of just buying both. Spend time shooting and just sitting with each system. Then spend some more time until you decide which one you want to sell.

In my opinion you will want/need both at different times. Just buy it all and figure it out later seems to be the Motto around here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first year I used the top step on my hawk helium along with two cranford ezy climb t steps. I had little discomfort with multi-hour sits. This year I plan on a combo of tree bolts (steps and "platform), the heliums with cranfords and then heliums or bolts with the new cranford saddle scaffold.

I'm biased toward platforms. I believe that I can shoot with less movement using a platform. Standing up on the platform provides a comfort option that ROS does not. And I think the general adjustment coming over from a treestand is easier with a platform.

That's just my opinion and I agree ideally try both. But if I have to pick, for a new convert to the cult of saddle hunting, I say platform all the way.

Yep, these guys are right - both are good, viable options and it’s all up to personal preference. Buy and try both then sell whichever one you don’t want - good resale value on these things here so you won’t lose too much money to figure out what you want.

I’m in on the “both” school of thought. Like others have said both have their merits. Can’t beat squirrel steps for packability. Nutterbuster has great video on them. I have them for long hikes in poker straight hardwoods areas.

Predator is great platform as well. Time spent on both ROS and platforms will help you find what works best for you.

I like options

I have both and hunted from a ROS for years until I tried a Predator platform this year. However I haven't hunted from it yet so I may be back to a ROS before the season is over. You can find a ROS in the classifieds on a regularly but a Predator platform, well I haven't seen one so far. The choice is yours and both would be great but you can hunt from a ROS for less if that matters.

Back