• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New saddle user Ring of Steps OCB buckle question

Hoosierdaddy192

Hi guys recently discovered tethered hunting and since I live right by a national forest this is a gamechanger for me. I bought a ring of steps to go with my set up because it was more portable than a platform. The only thing I hate is the noisy bulky ratchet strap. Someone mentioned getting an OCB style buckle strap. I saw ones sewn on and others in 2 pieces. what are the advantages or disadvantages of either style? Any help is appreciated

The sewn ones you thread the strap through each time, whereas on the two piece version you hook the one metal piece into the buckle, I think.

Definitely get the one with the sewn in hook on one end. Threading the strap each time is a pain in the rump.

The OCB, once you find that sweet spot for tightening works great. Be careful, it is possible to get it too tight and break the buckle. I’ve done it once on a smooth barked tree.

For a slightly different perspective, I used the sewn OCB this year and didn't have issues threading the strap through when I set up the steps. I like one less piece of metal. One downside of sewn OCB is you can't easily replace buckle with the boat buckle version.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Back