• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Setup, First-Time SH’er

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
Hey y’all, glad to finally interact! Been following the info here for a couple of months, and after 6 years of highly-pressured land bringing me high stress, fewer and fewer hours to hunt, and a stalemated success rate including 2 clean misses and innumerable blown opportunities, I decided last week to purchase my first saddle. I called Aero Hunter and spoke with their very friendly staff, discussing some of my thoughts and concerns over which model suited me best (I decided on the AH instead of the Tethrd after tons of self-deliberation and research. Ask in comments if you’d like me to elaborate ), and what equipment I had at my disposal already. Here is the setup I purchased, which should be shipping to me on 9/6, just a week after bow season opens here in DE:

AH Kestrel Original
HSS rope-style lineman’s belt
HSS rope-style tree tether (same as lineman’s belt but with only one carabiner)
4 LW 3-Step climbing sticks

I welcome feedback! I also know there are some strong opinions on the HSS ropes, so I would just ask that if you comment on them, keep it constructive and nonaccusatory. That said, @g2outdoors’s video on the broadhead-cut-tether testing kinda squashed the HSS naysayers in my opinion. Won’t know for sure until I’m in the tree, though. (I should say that even though I didn’t buy the Mantis, I absolutely found @g2outdoors and Tethrd Nation to be invaluable in my pursuit of saddle exposure. I would like to thank Greg for that, as well as @bowhunter15 and @Boudreaux for their hyper-informative and honest videos).

What kind of feedback can y’all give me on the following items, particularly as they might concern a newbie? These are the pieces I don’t yet have, but am leaning most towards:

Bullman 6-Step Platform
Retractable bow hoist (open to brand recommendation)
Accessory Hooks (open to brand recommendation)
Climbing Stick carrier/sling (was thinking about an old guitar strap or something)

I’m hunting public land only, and all screw-in everythings are illegal. I’m also a poor martial arts teacher, so frugality is a must.

Thanks for all of you guys posting! I’m stoked to hear what y’all think of my potential setup, and any tips on the equipment that might help smooth out my learning curves.

I should probably correct myself: I didn't purchase the HSS ropes or LW sticks new this season. They are from my Assault II setup. Sorry for not being clear.

I don't have nor have I tried the Bullman steps. I have not heard a lot of positive reviews on them however. The general consensus for steps in general seems to be that the strap should be attached above the step. Again my opinion is formed only on what I have read so take it at that. From what I have read squirrel steps are pretty good. That is slightly self serving as they were designed by people here and sold by people here. But then again its saddle hunting gear designed by and for saddle hunters so it should be good. Other steps that are good are non recall ameristep's and API skyhooks.

I don't understand the need for a gear hoist. I do see a lot of people talk about them so maybe I am missing something. I use paracord for that and paracord for a gear hanger with some modified nite-ize s hooks. That tends to be a bit of a preference thing too.

As far as a climbing stick carrier goes again I dont use one. If that's your plan for how you want to carrying them in then an old guitar strap may work well. Provided you have a way to keep them tight together. Not sure if you have a pack or not that they can strap too. I have used LW sticks for 3 years 2 years stock, one year modified. I personally prefer mine attached to my pack. You obviously have experience with them as well so really it's up to you.

I don't have nor have I tried the Bullman steps. I have not heard a lot of positive reviews on them however. The general consensus for steps in general seems to be that the strap should be attached above the step. Again my opinion is formed only on what I have read so take it at that. From what I have read squirrel steps are pretty good. That is slightly self serving as they were designed by people here and sold by people here. But then again its saddle hunting gear designed by and for saddle hunters so it should be good. Other steps that are good are non recall ameristep's and API skyhooks.

I don't understand the need for a gear hoist. I do see a lot of people talk about them so maybe I am missing something. I use paracord for that and paracord for a gear hanger with some modified nite-ize s hooks. That tends to be a bit of a preference thing too.

As far as a climbing stick carrier goes again I dont use one. If that's your plan for how you want to carrying them in then an old guitar strap may work well. Provided you have a way to keep them tight together. Not sure if you have a pack or not that they can strap too. I have used LW sticks for 3 years 2 years stock, one year modified. I personally prefer mine attached to my pack. You obviously have experience with them as well so really it's up to you.

So, the API skyhooks are a new term for me. Have not seen these reviewed yet. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Bullmans as well, but I like how streamlined the 6-steps/1-strap Bullman platform is packed up. That’s the main reason I have looked at them, besides the fact that they’re about 1/3 the price of squirrel steps for a full 6-step platform. But squirrels get superior reviews, no doubt.

I’ve used paracord hoists with frustration at their tiny diameter until last season when I decided to go @John Eberhart style and use a 1/2” utility rope that I daisy-chain to my harness, which is definitely anti-tangle, but it’s still just “too much” rope-management IMO. The retractable hoists get much love from SH’ers so I figured it might be worth trying. Saw a Hawk the other day that I didn’t really like. Webbing got twisted and stuck while retracting. HSS was same. I do like the idea of using paracord or the utility rope as a gear hook in the tree though.

As for my LW sticks, I do have one of their stick quivers that I attach to my Assault hang-on, so I guess I could rig them to my pack with that. I could try using their own straps to cinch and sling them alternatively.

I’ve got the bullman steps and am happy with them. I purchased them last year in the classifieds for around $50 shipped and at that time the ameristeps were going for like $25 a step. I, like you, wanted to save some money so I went with the bullman. I also wasn’t sure if I’d like the ROS so I went less expensive. They are perfectly huntable even though there are better ones on the market. Now with the price of ameristeps dropping a bit I would have probably just sprung the extra $30 and went with ameristeps.

I have not tried any other ROS platforms but from my experience the bullmans have been fine if you get the strap tight. My next upgrade will be the squirrel steps if I decide to go that route.

I’ve got the bullman steps and am happy with them. I purchased them last year in the classifieds for around $50 shipped and at that time the ameristeps were going for like $25 a step. I, like you, wanted to save some money so I went with the bullman. I also wasn’t sure if I’d like the ROS so I went less expensive. They are perfectly huntable even though there are better ones on the market. Now with the price of ameristeps dropping a bit I would have probably just sprung the extra $30 and went with ameristeps.

I have not tried any other ROS platforms but from my experience the bullmans have been fine if you get the strap tight. My next upgrade will be the squirrel steps if I decide to go that route.
The ROS system seems to be more tree-friendly overall, meaning I have more flexibility in tree selection. That could be BS that I just made up in my head though.
I’m also considering the Hawk Hangout as I’m pretty compact physically. Most of the issues seem to be with side pressure in people over 200 lbs, and even with all my gear I’m probably under 200 in November. For $30, it may be worth trying at 3’ off the ground, or keeping it in the armory even just to use as a seat if I don’t like as platform.

The new ROS from Cranford is an affordable option to search for here, too. I haven’t used it so can’t speak to it, but there are some reviews/comments on the site.

The ROS system seems to be more tree-friendly overall, meaning I have more flexibility in tree selection. That could be BS that I just made up in my head though.
I’m also considering the Hawk Hangout as I’m pretty compact physically. Most of the issues seem to be with side pressure in people over 200 lbs, and even with all my gear I’m probably under 200 in November. For $30, it may be worth trying at 3’ off the ground, or keeping it in the armory even just to use as a seat if I don’t like as platform.

Don’t waste your time with the hawk hangout. You’re current ROS is better than that already I can promise you.

The new ROS from Cranford is an affordable option to search for here, too. I haven’t used it so can’t speak to it, but there are some reviews/comments on the site.
I looked on their website but didn’t see it up yet. I think it’s only available through email/private pre-order right now, but I am intrigued by these for sure.

Solid start. I'd recommend you DIY a pivot style platform, or pick up a Predator platform.

For me, the pivot style platform makes a world of difference in comfort and shootability. I've pretty much gone away from ROS 100%. They're not even in the same league for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Solid start. I'd recommend you DIY a pivot style platform, or pick up a Predator platform.

For me, the pivot style platform makes a world of difference in comfort and shootability. I've pretty much gone away from ROS 100%. They're not even in the same league for me.

I’m definitely salivating over the Predator. It’s a liiiiiiiiittle out of my price range with a new baby coming right before season, UNLESS I decide to sell my LW Assault, or can shift some change around in the pocket book.
When you say pivot-style platform, do you mean like WE in a circle, an XOP, or am I about to learn a new term? Thanks for the input!

I call the Predator a pivot style because you don't walk around the tree like a circle or ring of steps. You simply Pivot your feet on the platform. The Predator, DIY xop/LW seats, Ridge Runner, and Perch all fall into the pivot style platforms.

A ring style is Ameristep strap on steps, Squirrel Steps from Dan O, or the WE Stepp ladders in a ring.

Both methods work and have their own pros and cons.

I call the Predator a pivot style because you don't walk around the tree like a circle or ring of steps. You simply Pivot your feet on the platform. The Predator, DIY xop/LW seats, Ridge Runner, and Perch all fall into the pivot style platforms.

A ring style is Ameristep strap on steps, Squirrel Steps from Dan O, or the WE Stepp ladders in a ring.

Both methods work and have their own pros and cons.

Thanks for clarifying. I have watched that video about 12 times in the last week. Super helpful though. In fact, after chatting in this thread with you and others, I’m now thinking the predator may be in my future. It’s probably worth the extra money for the extra convenience on public land, and the lack of learning curve. Plus, I don’t wanna hack up my LW just in case I need it for a preset location.

Back