• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Tether!

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So I've been fighting rope tethers for two long. Was cleaning out the basement today and found an old relic of my trees and days. HSS web lineman's belt. Stitched my elastic loop on it, added a biner, and voila!

11oz with the biner. Packs smaller than a can of beer.

I've got my total, ropes and all weight down to about 7 lbs. I know a fella who's gonna get me down below 5 here soon if all goes well...
0d625a3af70a76c01f6046e66ce8d732.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

So I've been fighting rope tethers for two long. Was cleaning out the basement today and found an old relic of my trees and days. HSS web lineman's belt. Stitched my elastic loop on it, added a biner, and voila!

I've got my total, ropes and all weight down to about 7 lbs. I know a fella who's gonna get me down below 5 here soon if all goes well...

Too funny, that's the same linemans belt I'm using but mines tan.

IMG_0609.JPG

Sniffin' the same glue...

Modified one of the guido's tree tethers. Can't decide if I'll just attach my rope to the shackle or if I'll use the screw link so I can slide anchor point around the tree a little quieter.

I've gone back and forth on these and just love the versatility of the ropeman and having identical tether and linemans even with the weight penalty. And not too keen on the clanging of those sliding bar buckles.

I've gone back and forth on these and just love the versatility of the ropeman and having identical tether and linemans even with the weight penalty. And not too keen on the clanging of those sliding bar buckles.
Different strokes. I may hate the noise once I get it in the woods, but it seems pretty quiet so far. The packability is what gets me. I HATE bulk and having to fiddle with stuff, and I could never get the ropes what I saw as "together." I can now fit my lineman's and tether in the same drink pouch on my backpack.

View attachment 6348

Sniffin' the same glue...

Modified one of the guido's tree tethers. Can't decide if I'll just attach my rope to the shackle or if I'll use the screw link so I can slide anchor point around the tree a little quieter.

If y'all get a chance can you post some pics with it around a tree and hooked in?

I have one that I'll be using this year (my first with a saddle and first using a lineman's). It seems fine and the adjustment acts like a Ropeman1. I'll have to steal the elastic idea, though. Pretty slick.

I guess that HSS lineman's belt was popular since I have one, too. Also have a similar belt made by Gorilla that seems just as well made. And here I've been using them as lineman's belts! Hadn't considered using as a tether. Based upon a short web search, it would seem that breaking strength is at least 3000#? Seems like a great idea, Nutterbuster. Thanks.

It's real similar to what jon e uses , but he v uses a modded trophyline one.
Yep. The trophyline lead strap I started with has always stuck in my head. I think John is spot-on with his minimalistic approach, although I couldn't bring myself to completely hack off my kestrel leg loops!

If only I could figure out how to shave weight off of my bolts...

Well I gave it a shot this morning. No real advantage to the screw link because it doesn't move quietly around the tree behind the strap like I though it would. It's not terrible, but it's not quiet enough to be worth it. If I go this route, I'll just hook it to the connection point on the strap.

The two things I immediately noticed - tightening a strap overhead is more difficult than flinging a girth hitch then pulling tight; In my test tree there are several branches at head height - weaving a strap in the right spot proved a little more challenging. I think the bigger downfall will be limiting myself with a fixed tether length If I have to go above or below a branch with the strap.

It's going to take a little thinking. I was a young buck when the rope style tree tethers came on the market to replace strap style. And I certainly didn't know what a saddle was back then. Two questions - Did the rope style tethers come from saddle guys/arborists? What was the impetus to make the change back then? I'm wondering if I'm devolving here...

Well I gave it a shot this morning. No real advantage to the screw link because it doesn't move quietly around the tree behind the strap like I though it would. It's not terrible, but it's not quiet enough to be worth it. If I go this route, I'll just hook it to the connection point on the strap.

The two things I immediately noticed - tightening a strap overhead is more difficult than flinging a girth hitch then pulling tight; In my test tree there are several branches at head height - weaving a strap in the right spot proved a little more challenging. I think the bigger downfall will be limiting myself with a fixed tether length If I have to go above or below a branch with the strap.

It's going to take a little thinking. I was a young buck when the rope style tree tethers came on the market to replace strap style. And I certainly didn't know what a saddle was back then. Two questions - Did the rope style tethers come from saddle guys/arborists? What was the impetus to make the change back then? I'm wondering if I'm devolving here...
I know we talked about something different the other day, so I wanted to clarify real quick that my system is a bit different than what you're doing. I'm doing pretty much exactly what guys with a ropeman and rope tether are doing, just with a strap.

I'm girth hitching and using the buckle to adjust length. I did see a pretty nifty piece of hardware in the Pro Shop the other day that I may be interested in using as you describe. It has a unique feature I think you'd appreciate.

Reactions: WHW
I know we talked about something different the other day, so I wanted to clarify real quick that my system is a bit different than what you're doing. I'm doing pretty much exactly what guys with a ropeman and rope tether are doing, just with a strap.

I'm girth hitching and using the buckle to adjust length. I did see a pretty nifty piece of hardware in the Pro Shop the other day that I may be interested in using as you describe. It has a unique feature I think you'd appreciate.

That's how the guido's was intended to be used. Steel carabiner that can handle side load, and you use the slide adjuster to adjust height. The thing for me is that it's about the same on the tree connection as a rope.

I'm going to tinker both ways, I like the idea of a multi function connection to the tree.

No secrets, I hate secrets. Bad for the site!

@denots, here ya go.

The elastic loop is my favorite thing in the world. Don't know why it isn't SOP around here. As you can see, it manages the excess tether quite well.
f3acab4dd9fb1a02db07a1cfd8b45baa.jpg
91606c1f8e03e5a2e8738bcf8fc95d50.jpg
f3d465d46c39edc237fa70a49e534608.jpg
04d710f7f34be6056e9c5059abce686e.jpg

I know this has been explored here before, but I think I will roll with this some too. I normally keep one of these in my pack for emergencies or random needs, dragging deer, tourniquet, backup tether, etc. It might make main tether for trees 18" and under - the tree in this picture is 16" in diameter - and with a forehead height hookup, I can clip up one loop from the bottom. I feel confident I can go to 18". Stupid simple. It might weigh 4 ounces....20.00 on amazon. Easy to clip your gear to it as well if you're not worried about it slipping if you unload it - I'd be scared to hook up a backpack and unload it it may slide down. The other option is to use a small screw link or shackle instead of girth hitching. Then it wouldn't move when unloaded.(last picture)

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG

Back