• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Saddle Hunting and Saddlehunter! Couple questions regarding bridge and tether

Like the title says I am a new saddle hunter and new to saddlehunter.com! I just received my Tethrd Mantis and my predator platform will be arriving in the coming weeks. My season here in MN is over but I want to be as prepared as possible come next season. I sat in my saddle for a couple hours when I got it and tried to figure out what needs adjusting and what other things I may need before the 2020 season. My main concern at the moment is hip pinch, tether height/length, and prusik length.

Right now my prusik ends up having a 12" after I attach it to my tether. That seems excessive and I will be playing around with length a little but I would like to get some input on what you guys found to be the sweet spot.

My tether is roughly 7' long right now and wrapping it around the large tree, ~2' in diameter, I barely had any tag line left to play with adjustments. That along with my prusik length really had me reaching way up to tie in my tether to be able to sit comfortably. What tether length do you guys run with?

What is the main cause of hip pinch? I ordered the Tethrd Mantis in medium because my normal waist size is 32". I am currently 34" waist. I had shoulder surgery in march of last year and have been out of the gym and by the time I got the ok to get back to the gym hunting season started and we all know what our priorities are...

I have previous rock climbing experience so I am planning to rappel down after a hunt so I ordered some amsteel to make a shorter bridge and rope mod some climbing sticks. Could a shorter or longer bridge help with hip pinch?

Sorry to overload you guys/gals with questions. Ive been scouring the forums trying to figure everything out but I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the options

My tether is roughly 7' long right now and wrapping it around the large tree, ~2' in diameter, I barely had any tag line left to play with adjustments. That along with my prusik length really had me reaching way up to tie in my tether to be able to sit comfortably. What tether length do you guys run with?

My tether is about 9 feet with knots. You might try shortening your prusik. Also if you have opportunity to hunt smaller trees that would certainly leave you with more tether.

Could a shorter or longer bridge help with hip pinch?

Longer bridge will generally relieve hip pinch. Here are some old threads on this:

Sorry to overload you guys/gals with questions. Ive been scouring the forums trying to figure everything out but I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the options

No worries, welcome to the forum.

Extra wrap in your prussic to shorten it. You might want to use your lineman belt as a temporary bridge to check out different lengths.
Good luck next year!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Tethrd prussic knots are way too long IMO. I ended up swapping to a ropeman 1 to snug it all up.

My tether is about 9 feet with knots. You might try shortening your prusik. Also if you have opportunity to hunt smaller trees that would certainly leave you with more tether.

Longer bridge will generally relieve hip pinch. Here are some old threads on this:

No worries, welcome to the forum.

Most of the trees I hunt fall under the 2’ mark so for now I’ll keep my tether length. I only have huge pine trees near my house to test on and it was something I noticed. I’ll give shortening my prusik a try. Thank you for the links!

Extra wrap in your prussic to shorten it. You might want to use your lineman belt as a temporary bridge to check out different lengths.
Good luck next year!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the lineman’s belt idea! Didn’t even think about it. Was going to make a few out of amsteel hoping I got it right but I feel like that would have been a waste.

The Tethrd prussic knots are way too long IMO. I ended up swapping to a ropeman 1 to snug it all up.

As much as I want a ropeman I feel weird trusting my life to something mechanical. I’m not saying it will fail I just get weird about it. I have alot of 6mm and 7mm rated accessory cord that I plan on using for prusiks and autoblocks for rappelling.

As much as I want a ropeman I feel weird trusting my life to something mechanical. I’m not saying it will fail I just get weird about it. I have alot of 6mm and 7mm rated accessory cord that I plan on using for prusiks and autoblocks for rappelling.
Oh yeah, I don’t like trusting my life to one either. I back it up with my prussic.

Back