• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting. Are leg loops necessary?

upstate

I'm trying to choose which saddle to purchase. The only saddle I've been in is the mantis. I'm thinking about the H2 because many people say it is the most comfortable.? My question is: what is the purpose of the leg straps and are they necessary?

I have a Mantis and cut the legs loops off. Still kept riding up so I bought an H2 without leg loops. It’s awesome! The leg loops are mainly there for liability purposes so companies say they are there to help keep the saddle in place.

Yeah, it seems like one of the saddles I looked at, (not sure which one), had big loose leg loops that were not adjustable. That's when I started thinking they were unnecessary, at least to some people.

Some people take them off, some people don’t. It’s up to you and what you’re comfortable with. They don’t really do much when you are using your saddle normally but are really intended to help keep your saddle on your body in the event of a fall.

Personally, I leave them on as they don’t bother me and I like the extra insurance.

They are unnecessary to some. If you’re anything like me and don’t like heights to begin with, I do feel like they add a sense of security. Even if they aren’t really safety devices built in, they do make me feel more comfortable in the saddle and I’m less afraid if somehow slipping out of the saddle at height or something like that. So for me they’re worth the mental reassurance if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree with @Westdesign03. Working in the construction industry, it just feels normal and safe to have the leg straps. I do not think I would feel comfortable in a saddle without one. However, many would say that it is just personal preference.
I have the H2 with leg straps and yes that saddle is comfortable. You will like it.

Currently own an H2 without the leg straps and I am able to hang upside down from it just like I used to do in mantis with leg straps. Not saying it's going to save your life up in a tree but you are able to go upside and stay in the saddle without leg straps.
73872548423f81a9c021010cd3edcdbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Currently own an H2 without the leg straps and I am able to hang upside down from it just like I used to do in mantis with leg straps. Not saying it's going to save your life up in a tree but you are able to go upside and stay in the saddle without leg straps.

Hahaha that is great!!

A controlled flip vs a fall/slip/malfunction might have a different outcome. I have the Flex and find it comfortable. I leave the leg straps attached for safety and personal comfort. Personally I feel like I would slide out of my saddle when I’m one sticking up the tree if it didn’t have leg straps.

A controlled flip vs a fall/slip/malfunction might have a different outcome. I have the Flex and find it comfortable. I leave the leg straps attached for safety and personal comfort. Personally I feel like I would slide out of my saddle when I’m one sticking up the tree if it didn’t have leg straps.
No I totally agree. Not trying argue and say leg straps are a complete waste. I feel like leg straps are more for keeping the saddle from sliding up or you sliding down out of it and with your climbing style I could see why they would be beneficial. I use wild edge steps and the boogie woogie aider method so I'm not relying on my saddle to hold me as I go up the tree like you are with 1 sticking.
Just like so much of this saddle hunting stuff, it all comes down to preference and personal comfort. Of all the people on this forum, I bet there is something different about each individual and their style.

I don’t understand how you would sit in the saddle without them, isn’t that what cups it to your butt? The material would just hang without leg straps

I don’t understand how you would sit in the saddle without them, isn’t that what cups it to your butt? The material would just hang without leg straps

That saddle is what cups you. Once you put weight on it, there is no flopping material.
d7813e4c6b875026b91784be80a582bf.jpg

That saddle is what cups you. Once you put weight on it, there is no flopping material.
d7813e4c6b875026b91784be80a582bf.jpg

That is why i love my H2, it cups and sits nicely even without any leg straps. I have leg straps on mine but I mostly leave them clipped to the loop without using them. I 1stick and rappel, and it hasnt caused me any issues so far

My mantis won’t do that lmao DAMN.

nice butt dude

You guys have been super helpful. I love the upside down pic from the chin up bar, awesome. I realize personal preference and actual experience are the ultimate determining factor. I've never really enjoyed the leg straps on my safety harness, flopping around and getting in the way and was intrigued at not needing them in a saddle scenario. I think I will be going with the H2 without leg straps but still have a month to think about it. It's going to be my fathers day present to myself.

You guys have been super helpful. I love the upside down pic from the chin up bar, awesome. I realize personal preference and actual experience are the ultimate determining factor. I've never really enjoyed the leg straps on my safety harness, flopping around and getting in the way and was intrigued at not needing them in a saddle scenario. I think I will be going with the H2 without leg straps but still have a month to think about it. It's going to be my fathers day present to myself.

Good gift to yourself for sure. Just FYI, the H2 leg straps don’t flop around like a traditional safety harness leg straps do. They’re light weight and ride nicely on your legs when walking, climbing and all of that. You don’t even notice they’re there unless you have them pulled tighter than they should be. Also on the H2 they are the G hook style buckles and are absolutely silent to connect if you put your saddle on at the tree. So just saying I wouldn’t let your comparison to regular safety harness leg straps be the deciding factor on whether to get leg straps or not on the saddle. I really like having the leg straps on my H2. But I know some guys don’t. You could always get the saddle with straps and if you end up not liking them you can cut them off. Then you’ll know for sure how you feel about them one way or the other.

The H2 is a good saddle. You won’t go wrong with it. A good price and pretty light and comfortable when sitting.
They all are really good but they all have different strong points . The strong point of the H2 is how it cups your butt.
The phantom is super light and great for a leaner.
The recon also cups your butt and highly adjustable for moving any pressure around your butt.
The flex is comfortable but bulky
I am hoping the cruzr is a compromise between the H2 and flex. It comes soon.
And the JX3 is my lazy boy in the sky.

As far as leg straps. I like them for rappelling only. But I doubt they are totally necessary even when rappelling
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Like I said earlier I love my H2 without leg straps. It’s just one less thing to fiddle with and I have three H2’s now. One for my father and now one for my son who is 12. Those two have leg straps because it will be their first year hunting from a saddle so I just wanted them to feel more secure but comparing them to mine without the leg straps there isn’t a difference in comfort. I’m just a minimalist when it comes to hunting equipment not particularly with weight or risking safety just trying to cut out the extra clutter. I ordered all my H2’s without Molle and linesman’s loops as well. I have no need for extra loops when I can use my bridge loops as linesman loops and I don’t attach carrying pouches to my saddle. Heath actually gave me a discount because I didn’t want them. Great saddle and great business man!

Back