• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting in Twin Tiers NY/PA

diuilin

Took up hunting 10 years ago at age 50, but having been a rock climber in my younger years, climbing around in trees has always been one of my favorite parts of hunting (next to watching a buck go down!). I just learned about saddle hunting this year and am eager to try it out. Still haven't found a saddle, so I joined SH hoping to find one and get some tips. If there's anyone in the Twin Tiers area of western NY/PA (McKean/Cattaraugus counties) who'd be willing to let an old newbie try out some saddles or climbing techniques, that would be great.

Welcome from Maryland! Your on the right track, if you could find a few saddles to try before you buy , or better yet attend a meetup, it would do wonders for your learning curve & your wallet.

Welcome from coastal NC!!! Also you can check out the Saddle Hunters map and see if anyone is close to you and maybe try their saddle if they are willing!

Welcome from coastal NC!!! Also you can check out the Saddle Hunters map and see if anyone is close to you and maybe try their saddle if they are willing!
Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know about the map, but I just found it. Looks like there aren't any SH members around here. Surprising since it seems like just about everyone hunts. Maybe they're just not into trying methods that their grandfathers didn't use. Or maybe they just don't like to socialize much.

Welcome from central NY. If you want to take a trip you can come try out my phantom.
Thanks, bowmanmike. I might take you up on that some day. Right now, since I teach at a small college out here, I'm working 24/7 to get my classes online (or at least when I can take time away from scouting, making blinds, and playing with some new gear).

Thanks, bowmanmike. I might take you up on that some day. Right now, since I teach at a small college out here, I'm working 24/7 to get my classes online (or at least when I can take time away from scouting, making blinds, and playing with some new gear).
Anytime. I am at the tail end of my 40's,so not exactly young. Also i just started with the saddle hunting bit this spring and deer hunting on the whole about 8 years ago.
Give me shout if you have time and want to check out my limited amount of gear. I use DRT for my climbing method and also the one sticking with the predator platform.

Welcome I'm washington co in swpa, but im in southwest mckean quite often. I can let you know the next I'm up there and you can climb with my gear to your hearts content!

Back