• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Saddle & Hunting - Ontario

Mellifluous

Jun 8, 2020
Brampton, Ontario
WEBSITE
not cool enough for one =[
WLM
wont laugh motionless?!?
YAHOO
Weeeeeee!
AOL
An owl
Hi,

Here's my crack at an intro:
I grew up on the East coast in New Brunswick, became a work-o-holic at 15, used to loved the out doors, but once i started working i lost touch with all of it, worked a lot of nights, traveled and lived in hotels with work full time for a few years, came out to Ontario and when i finally started settling down, pick up multiple jobs, until someone at work asked if id want to go get my firearms license with them... and life changed immediately.
I just had this strong urge to get back to the outdoors, harvest my own meat, so i picked up a bow...
I didn't grow up with friends or family who were hunters, so here i am now 31 and trying to figure it out.

Went to a local "pro" bow shop about an hour and a half away, they had a pretty well written blurb about how they're family owned and care, and will set you up with confidence and such.... and man was that ever a bad experience. They didn't actually measure me, ended up selling me a bow too short, when i said i feel like im not able to extend fully... like it almost feel like an awkward resistance where i feel like i can go further, and they looked at my draw and said nope its good, (later finding out that when i released the string left my face (from an actual pro shop)
peep they put in was so big... me not knowing any better i actually couldn't figure out how to aim... it made no sense to me, im trying to float the sight ring in the middle of this hugeee peep ring with like what looked to be a 2 inch gap.... id look up youtube videos trying to see how its supposed to be done or some kind of visual wish was impossible (later finding out it was the peep being too big... with the right size put in it then all came together and made sense...)
I noticed the arrow seemed not level in the rest... since ive already been back and they tell me im wrong for other things i bough levels online just to make sure, and of course it was... so i go it and let them know, the guy maxes out the rest settings then just starts pulling on the d loop and eye judges it level... seriously felt like is this some kind of joke?
arrows they told me to buy were wrong spines... told me to get 500, im pulling 60 lbs at 27"... later finding out i should be more around 300 / 350....
asked about paper tuning, they said its a waste of time, wouldn't let me be there for any of the bow set up to learn anything...
I got so fed up, i seen the Hushin' bow set ups on youtube at Wilde Arrow in Utah, and thought man that's how its supposed to be! i got a hold of him and asked if thered be any chance i could fly down for a weekend and do a tune with them, and they were ever so welcoming, we booked a weekend and off i went!
I have to say it was probably the best trip of my life, Jeremiah and the guys at the shop were so friendly, I just hung around the whole weekend like a fly on the wall and soaked up everything i could, they explained in detail what they were doing and why, increased my draw length, worked on my forum and technique, paper tuned and had me feeling good about what i was doing. Those guys were amazing, I cant say enough about the experience and the bonus of going up the mountains and try glassing for the first time was awesome, ran into a guy who recognized my FHF bino harness, said he actually knows the guy who makes them and chatted for a bit... i wear that harness around home and people just look at me like im nuts...

So now back home, don't know where to go join all kinds of forms and federations, but everyone says Canadians are known to be nice... but ive only unfortunately been getting a sense of nice people in the hunting world from the US, all the neat programs seem to be States side, all the passionate people ive talked to... feels like finding someone to hunt with there was welcoming, but up here its like people will talk but at the same time its all a big secret you'll never get to see, I was able to find one guy who was going to take me out for turkeys but covid happened...
I found a marsh about 2 hours away that i would be able to practice at, but no camping allowed so it makes it hard to get to. other then that finding places have been pretty difficult. I don't have a yard, so i just set up a paper tuning target in my garage to work on anchoring and release.

I was introduced to a deer / moose hunt came i went to last season, was only able to make a couple days, but they do dog drives, was my first time hunting just put me at a post, said dont move, head on swivel, "if its brown its down" ... just dont shoot a moose with a small snout....?!?! you'll just know its small when you see it.
They wouldn't let me use a bow, so had to pick up a rifle, never even shot it, just did a laser bore sight in at 10 yards with the calculations to make the difference further ... though maybe there would be some kind of sight in session, but none. ive since joined a gun club but thats and hour and a half away and only 50 yards. so just hard to make it out.
I was feeling pretty thankful i didn't see anything in the end cause i never even loaded the rifle, and wouldn't have even shot, i had no confidence at all, and probably wouldn't have heard the end of it cause it was a rough season for the camp apparently. Was sill a nice group of guys, hearing stories at the end of the day was fun, and was still the closest to hunting ive been yet so definitely better than nothing. But not quite sure if its the style of hunting im yearning for.
Been reading The Tenth Legion and the part where he describes a hunt camp fit my experience to a T... i laughed so hard reading through it! haha

Been trying to do some e-scouting in the small elk management units here, dont think ill ever draw a tag, but just seems much less intimidating to figure out where to go and explore, and practice my outdoor skills since its just a small area to work with verses everywhere else. Working with crown land maps and topo maps to plan a spot, they're just starting to open back country camping so hoping to make it out soon.

Didn't think i would be at all interested in tree stand hunting, but then i came across saddle hunting and oh man i'm already hooked and my wild edge steps haven't even come in yet! I just want to climb trees! haha
Anyways, ive gone on pretty lengthy, if there anyone in the Toronto area who like minded and willing to take me under their wing please feel free to reach out!
or anyone for that matter, I dont have many people to talk to about hunting and its all i think about now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aaronpaul14

Nov 9, 2018
TWITTER
aaronpaul14
Hey Welcome from KS!!

Sadly there are a lot of people who have bad experiences with bow shops. Seem to be 50/50 shot of getting a really good one.

Closest one to me is pretty bad but recently found one an hour and half away that has some real knowledge in there.

It’s definitely a community atmosphere around here. Everyone willing to help and provide feed back instantly.

A lot of people give up on the WE steps. I love mine. Just make sure you stretch the ropes properly and practice over and over again at ground level until setting them up is second nature.

There are a few Canadians on here. There is a map that a lot of folks pin their location to help find nearby like minded folks.

There is a thread where you can submit your location and they will get you added.

Good luck!

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Hi,

Here's my crack at an intro:
I grew up on the East coast in New Brunswick, became a work-o-holic at 15, used to loved the out doors, but once i started working i lost touch with all of it, worked a lot of nights, traveled and lived in hotels with work full time for a few years, came out to Ontario and when i finally started settling down, pick up multiple jobs, until someone at work asked if id want to go get my firearms license with them... and life changed immediately.
I just had this strong urge to get back to the outdoors, harvest my own meat, so i picked up a bow...
I didn't grow up with friends or family who were hunters, so here i am now 31 and trying to figure it out.

Went to a local "pro" bow shop about an hour and a half away, they had a pretty well written blurb about how they're family owned and care, and will set you up with confidence and such.... and man was that ever a bad experience. They didn't actually measure me, ended up selling me a bow too short, when i said i feel like im not able to extend fully... like it almost feel like an awkward resistance where i feel like i can go further, and they looked at my draw and said nope its good, (later finding out that when i released the string left my face (from an actual pro shop)
peep they put in was so big... me not knowing any better i actually couldn't figure out how to aim... it made no sense to me, im trying to float the sight ring in the middle of this hugeee peep ring with like what looked to be a 2 inch gap.... id look up youtube videos trying to see how its supposed to be done or some kind of visual wish was impossible (later finding out it was the peep being too big... with the right size put in it then all came together and made sense...)
I noticed the arrow seemed not level in the rest... since ive already been back and they tell me im wrong for other things i bough levels online just to make sure, and of course it was... so i go it and let them know, the guy maxes out the rest settings then just starts pulling on the d loop and eye judges it level... seriously felt like is this some kind of joke?
arrows they told me to buy were wrong spines... told me to get 500, im pulling 60 lbs at 27"... later finding out i should be more around 300 / 350....
asked about paper tuning, they said its a waste of time, wouldn't let me be there for any of the bow set up to learn anything...
I got so fed up, i seen the Hushin' bow set ups on youtube at Wilde Arrow in Utah, and thought man that's how its supposed to be! i got a hold of him and asked if thered be any chance i could fly down for a weekend and do a tune with them, and they were ever so welcoming, we booked a weekend and off i went!
I have to say it was probably the best trip of my life, Jeremiah and the guys at the shop were so friendly, I just hung around the whole weekend like a fly on the wall and soaked up everything i could, they explained in detail what they were doing and why, increased my draw length, worked on my forum and technique, paper tuned and had me feeling good about what i was doing. Those guys were amazing, I cant say enough about the experience and the bonus of going up the mountains and try glassing for the first time was awesome, ran into a guy who recognized my FHF bino harness, said he actually knows the guy who makes them and chatted for a bit... i wear that harness around home and people just look at me like im nuts...

So now back home, don't know where to go join all kinds of forms and federations, but everyone says Canadians are known to be nice... but ive only unfortunately been getting a sense of nice people in the hunting world from the US, all the neat programs seem to be States side, all the passionate people ive talked to... feels like finding someone to hunt with there was welcoming, but up here its like people will talk but at the same time its all a big secret you'll never get to see, I was able to find one guy who was going to take me out for turkeys but covid happened...
I found a marsh about 3 hours away that i would be able to practice at, but no camping allowed so it makes it hard to get to. other then that finding places have been pretty difficult. I don't have a yard, so i just set up a paper tuning target in my garage to work on anchoring and release.

I was introduced to a deer / moose hunt came i went to last season, was only able to make a couple days, but they do dog drives, was my first time hunting just put me at a post, said dont move, head on swivel, "if its brown its down" ... just dont shoot a moose with a small snout....?!?! you'll just know its small when you see it.
They wouldn't let me use a bow, so had to pick up a rifle, never even shot it, just did a laser bore sight in at 10 yards with the calculations to make the difference further ... though maybe there would be some kind of sight in session, but none. ive since joined a gun club but thats and hour and a half away and only 50 yards. so just hard to make it out.
I was feeling pretty thankful i didn't see anything in the end cause i never even loaded the rifle, and wouldn't have even shot, i had no confidence at all, and probably wouldn't have heard the end of it cause it was a rough season for the camp apparently. Was sill a nice group of guys, hearing stories at the end of the day was fun, and was still the closest to hunting ive been yet so definitely better than nothing. But not quite sure if its the style of hunting im yearning for.
Been reading The Tenth Legion and the part where he describes a hunt camp fit my experience to a T... i laughed so hard reading through it! haha

Been trying to do some e-scouting in the small elk management units here, dont think ill ever draw a tag, but just seems much less intimidating to figure out where to go and explore, and practice my outdoor skills since its just a small area to work with verses everywhere else. Working with crown land maps and topo maps to plan a spot, they're just starting to open back country camping so hoping to make it out soon.

Didn't think i would be at all interested in tree stand hunting, but then i came across saddle hunting and oh man i'm already hooked and my wild edge steps haven't even come in yet! I just want to climb trees! haha
Anyways, ive gone on pretty lengthy, if there anyone in the Toronto area who like minded and willing to take me under their wing please feel free to reach out!
or anyone for that matter, I dont have many people to talk to about hunting and its all i think about now.

Thanks!

What Marsh are you going to. I am 5 minutes from Hullet Marsh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mellifluous

Jun 8, 2020
Brampton, Ontario
WEBSITE
not cool enough for one =[
WLM
wont laugh motionless?!?
YAHOO
Weeeeeee!
AOL
An owl
Hey Welcome from KS!!

Sadly there are a lot of people who have bad experiences with bow shops. Seem to be 50/50 shot of getting a really good one.

Closest one to me is pretty bad but recently found one an hour and half away that has some real knowledge in there.

It’s definitely a community atmosphere around here. Everyone willing to help and provide feed back instantly.

A lot of people give up on the WE steps. I love mine. Just make sure you stretch the ropes properly and practice over and over again at ground level until setting them up is second nature.

There are a few Canadians on here. There is a map that a lot of folks pin their location to help find nearby like minded folks.

There is a thread where you can submit your location and they will get you added.

Good luck!
Thanks so much! I added my info for my pin! =]

Reactions: Aaronpaul14

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome from Maryland! Glad your experiences are heading in the right direction, sounded pretty rough at first!

Gumbymedic

Jul 21, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
Welcome from Toledo, Ohio! You will find a lot of answers to your questions on this forum...and you will end up spending a lot of money.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Are they open again? Last I heard wad closed! I'll go this weekend if they are!! =]

Check the web site. Hunting was not open earlier. Hiking opened a few weeks ago. Not sure about shooting

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
Welcome from the north end of Michigan's lower peninsula. There's a lot of great guys here willing to help out. Don't be afraid to ask questions, saddle hunting related or not. There's a wide range of hunting experience here to be tapped from.