• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting. Stirrups Q's

Jgetch

new to the forum and to saddle hunting. Wanted to jump in for a few years and got serious this year. I have a bit of experience climbing trees with ropes already and used to do a bit of rock climbing so I decided to make my own set up. I will post pictures once it's complete. I'm waiting on an important saddle component. I do have a question about stirrups though. Does anyone use stirrups as a platform of sorts? Obviously it would not be as stable as the platforms or anything else on this site but is it doable? I could swear I saw a post about this but can't seem to relocate it. I've done a lot of reading since finding this forum a few weeks ago. Lots of great ideas and the diy/innovation that everyone is involved with wether innovating or suggesting is really awesome. It's nice to see a forum where u know the people are actually participating and not demeaning to one another. Thanks for any info.

I have always used footloops or stirrups never a platform...closest thing I came to a platform were wooden blocks but soon discovered for my system that stirrups made more sense in terms of weight and noise, but to each his own.

I have always used footloops or stirrups never a platform...closest thing I came to a platform were wooden blocks but soon discovered for my system that stirrups made more sense in terms of weight and noise, but to each his own.

Thanks noxninja. Question for you. Do you tether the loops together so that your feet anchor to the tree or do you have another method.

IMG_2948.JPG A nice adjustable double foot loop like cavers use could be good.

Mine have a knot tied in 1' above the tops of the foot loops. More stable when standing up

I've got 9mm rope stuffed inside of tubular webbing. Then rubber hose wrapped around the foot section and covered with tape

Thanks noxninja. Question for you. Do you tether the loops together so that your feet anchor to the tree or do you have another method.
sorry for the late reply but here is a video of how the stirrups are connected to the cinch strap

sorry for the late reply but here is a video of how the stirrups are connected to the cinch strap
Is there a way to see this video? It always says its private, Id really like to see it as Im new to this as well and am exploring the footloop/stirrup idea.

Back