• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

new to saddle hunting; zook outdoors

tomit242

Hi there, I'm a new member. Don't own a saddle yet, but looking at all options to get started saddle hunting in Pennsylvania.
I have rifle and flintlock hunted for years, but now have a bow and will start learning archery for next season.
Any advice as far as new to saddle hunting and what to buy, based on 1st safety but also cost effectiveness?
I have been searching the forums and came across Zook gear from a google search: https://zookoutdoors.com/product-category/zook/

Again, still looking and just starting out, looking for advice on a saddle and climbing system for a beginner to be both safe and cost effective.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and saddle hunting. You’re in the right place if just getting started, there are many members on here that have been utilizing a saddle to hunt with longer than I’ve been alive, and freely share advice that will shorten your learning curve(and yes there is a learning curve). As far as saddle hunting gear goes, I wouldn’t buy cheap knock off gear that may jeopardize your safety. If you decide that saddle hunting isn’t for you, you can usually sell the stuff and not lose much if any of your money.

Where in PA are you located, there are a couple of us here and could possibly do a meet up to try some stuff.

Hi there, I'm a new member. Don't own a saddle yet, but looking at all options to get started saddle hunting in Pennsylvania.
I have rifle and flintlock hunted for years, but now have a bow and will start learning archery for next season.
Any advice as far as new to saddle hunting and what to buy, based on 1st safety but also cost effectiveness?
I have been searching the forums and came across Zook gear from a google search: https://zookoutdoors.com/product-category/zook/

Again, still looking and just starting out, looking for advice on a saddle and climbing system for a beginner to be both safe and cost effective.

Thanks!

Welcome! I've never heard of Zook outdoors. It looks like all they sell is a tether, lifelines and linesman's belt. I didn't see a lot if info on their rope and it looks like they use cheap carabiners. For ropes/caribiners etc. I would recommend Eastern Woods outdoors https://doublesteps.com/shop/ or any reputable climbing store. For a saddle, I would take the advice above and try to find someone close to try a few saddles out. For cost effectiveness I would check out the classifieds on here and try to find a lightly used saddle to get started. It most likely won't be your last.

Welcome to the forum, you'll learn plenty here. Like @GCTerpfan said, start with a reputable brand like EWO. To save money, I would either try a bundle from one of the saddle companies (Cruzr, Tethrd, Latitude, Trophyline, etc...) Better yet, support the forum as a paying member and have better access to the classifieds and you will save a lot. The hard part is dialing in what you like, so a meetup might benefit you so you can try several styles and climbing methods, platforms. Good luck it can be a rabbit hole!

Welcome to the site! I have never laid hands on Zook products, so I can't endorse them personally, but they've been around for over a year, and when I first saw they were in the same area as I am I looked them up. I'd suggest if you're curious to send them a note and ask them for more information. Seems they are just a small business in West Michigan, guy who runs it is also a pastor. So maybe worth a closer look?

Back