• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting

RobFrancis64

I'm thinking of getting in to saddle hunting and I was wondering if anyone here might be in my area to let me try it out before I buy one, I located in Richmond KY. I'd be willing to drive an hour or so to try one though. Thank you.

Not on your area but i was a skeptic at first when i first though about trying it but i pulled the trigger this year, best decision i ever made for hunting if you are a bow hunter than u wont regret it

I just bought a cruzr xc, should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping I like it as much as I think I will, I did a lot of research and I feel like I got the right saddle for me at least. I'm 6'5 240.

I use a tetherd phantom myself, have you thought about how to want to climb, 1 stick, SRT,DRT ETC

I use a tetherd phantom myself, have you thought about how to want to climb, 1 stick, SRT,DRT ETC
I've been using the 30" hawk helium sticks for now, feels more comfortable to me until I'm more acquainted with it. I get pretty shook up when it comes to heights so I'm just working on trusting the equipment and everything at the moment. I'd like to eventually transition to 2 smaller sticks and an aider most likely.

Thats what i use is a modified 30" hawk for 1 sticking, im not a big fan of height either but ive gotten to where i prefer the stick over SRT and i rappel down with a rescue fig 8, alot quicker and easier, if you are lookin on any ideas on setup i can load some pics on here, even if you dont like the setup i use, as a newbie myself it could give you an idea for something similar, ive modified my platform to hold my stick etc

Thats what i use is a modified 30" hawk for 1 sticking, im not a big fan of height either but ive gotten to where i prefer the stick over SRT and i rappel down with a rescue fig 8, alot quicker and easier, if you are lookin on any ideas on setup i can load some pics on here, even if you dont like the setup i use, as a newbie myself it could give you an idea for something similar, ive modified my platform to hold my stick etc
I was just watching videos on the 1 stick method, seems like the best way to go honestly. Yeah definitely, I need all the ideas I can get. I appreciate it man.

Added cam cleat and 8mm rope, alot easier than the facory strap

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-021601_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-021601_Gallery.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 15
Cam cleat with 2 squirrel steps for more places to put my feet and push off if needed and better bite n2 the tree

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201106-143110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201106-143110_Gallery.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 18
Stick, tether, linemans and 35ft of 8mm rope to rappel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201129-192640_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-192640_Gallery.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 15
The factory cups that are supposed to hold the hawk sticks togather i modified to fit onto the back of the platform post and added a bolt for a 4 step aider

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201129-192928_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-192928_Gallery.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 12
Man you got it figured out. I like that set up a lot! How do you like the lone wolf platfrom? I was really considering it and ended up getting the predator XL based solely on price.

I'm not a fan of the buckle straps on the helium sticks at all either, I think I'm gonna end up changing all my straps to daisy chains, even the platform strap.

Thx ,Ive really enjoyed the platform, when i purched it i didnt even know tethered was going to come out with the XL dont i probably would have waited for the $ but im def happy with it, bites well even in some nasty crooks and with the extra strap handles side pressure great but its more the extra strap than the platform i think, the setup im using is something i pieced togather this spring and summer, when i jump on the saddle wagon back in march, i played with alot of different ideas and this is what i ended up with, i tried the daisy chain amsteel on stick and platform and found for me it was a pain setting in larger trees getting the slack out, "beach ball size trunk at hunting height" i hunt alot of areas with big swamp oak and cypress trees. Pic was the other day in swamp with a crooked tree, due to trail its about the only tree i can get in that doesnt give me a really bad angled shot to the trails that they use, the platform is level and i had to have my tether coming from the far left side of the tree to center it somewhat but no way to hunt out of with other stand types

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-193540_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-193540_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Yeah you're in some nasty stuff from the looks of it. You can tell that extra strap does make a difference for sure, I might end up getting one down the road. I still like the shape of the lonewolf better than the predator honestly, maybe just because it seems more familiar though.

Back