• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting

Cajun_haha

Jan 5, 2021
Thinking about getting in to saddle hunting never heard of it until a couple weeks ago and now cant stop watching videos on YouTube about them just have questions about it wondering what’s a good one to start with for a beginner? Also are they comfortable to be in all day hunts? And can deer spot you easily in a tree saddle vs a climbing stand?

sweats

Apr 17, 2018
Comfortable is relative. I've done all day sits plenty of times. However, it's not like sitting on a couch obviously.

Best saddle is very personal. One person will say a certain saddle is the worst they've ever sat in and how much they hate it. Another will sing the praises of the same saddle as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Best bet is to try a few and see what you like best.

The general wisdom has always been that you're less likely to get sighted in a saddle because you can use the tree between you and the deer. However, there's a lot of factors such as tree diameter, canopy cover, etc. and you can definitley still get picked off in the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cajun_haha

Jan 5, 2021
Comfortable is relative. I've done all day sits plenty of times. However, it's not like sitting on a couch obviously.

Best saddle is very personal. One person will say a certain saddle is the worst they've ever sat in and how much they hate it. Another will sing the praises of the same saddle as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Best bet is to try a few and see what you like best.

The general wisdom has always been that you're less likely to get sighted in a saddle because you can use the tree between you and the deer. However, there's a lot of factors such as tree diameter, canopy cover, etc. and you can definitley still get picked off in the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah still haven’t made my mind on getting a climber or the saddle hunting public land next year and it’s a ways getting in there so I’m trying to be as light as possible and it’s bow only

Reactions: sweats

ShortFuse

Nov 25, 2020
I did the same thing. Heard about it one day.... obsessed over YouTube for 2 weeks learning knots and ropes and equipment. I have the cruzr XC. My buddy has the mantis. He loves his mantis and I love my cruzr. My first 4 hour sit I was having hip pinch and couldn’t get comfortable. My second sit, I set my bridge to 27” (fixed length) and left it alone, that was the start to the most comfortable sits thereafter.
I’m one of those ADD hunters who is never comfortable and NEEDS to move to be comfortable. And this you can re position QUIETLY at any time.
I am using a knaider swaider with Out on a limb solo scout to “one stick” up and i repel down. It still takes me 30-40 to go up the tree but hey... I’m still learning every time. Saddle hunting is worse than owning a jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSbowhunter48

Oct 15, 2019
If you’re debating between a climber and a saddle, I don’t even think it’s a close comparison. I’d choose the saddle every single time. The weight difference, less bulk, ability to get in more trees are all reasons to get a saddle in my opinion. And I’ve noticed a substantial difference in deer not spooking (even when they look straight at me) when I switched to a saddle.

With all that said it’s going to be different and takes time and practice to get proficient at it. If you’re going strictly for comfort and nothing else then I would lean towards the jx3. If you’re wanting a more traditional style saddle then I would recommend the cruzr xc.

Cajun_haha

Jan 5, 2021
I did the same thing. Heard about it one day.... obsessed over YouTube for 2 weeks learning knots and ropes and equipment. I have the cruzr XC. My buddy has the mantis. He loves his mantis and I love my cruzr. My first 4 hour sit I was having hip pinch and couldn’t get comfortable. My second sit, I set my bridge to 27” (fixed length) and left it alone, that was the start to the most comfortable sits thereafter.
I’m one of those ADD hunters who is never comfortable and NEEDS to move to be comfortable. And this you can re position QUIETLY at any time.
I am using a knaider swaider with Out on a limb solo scout to “one stick” up and i repel down. It still takes me 30-40 to go up the tree but hey... I’m still learning every time. Saddle hunting is worse than owning a jeep.

So do you prefer saddle over a climber?

Cajun_haha

Jan 5, 2021
If you’re debating between a climber and a saddle, I don’t even think it’s a close comparison. I’d choose the saddle every single time. The weight difference, less bulk, ability to get in more trees are all reasons to get a saddle in my opinion. And I’ve noticed a substantial difference in deer not spooking (even when they look straight at me) when I switched to a saddle.

With all that said it’s going to be different and takes time and practice to get proficient at it. If you’re going strictly for comfort and nothing else then I would lean towards the jx3. If you’re wanting a more traditional style saddle then I would recommend the cruzr xc.
Yeah that’s a reason why I’m thinking about getting a saddle is because I’m hunting public land next year and it’s so far to get in there and I wanna be light as possible

RMcDonald7

SH Member
Jan 5, 2021
WV
Thinking about getting in to saddle hunting never heard of it until a couple weeks ago and now cant stop watching videos on YouTube about them just have questions about it wondering what’s a good one to start with for a beginner? Also are they comfortable to be in all day hunts? And can deer spot you easily in a tree saddle vs a climbing stand?
I'm in the exact same boat!

Ordered a Notch Saddle ($49 deals) and found a few Primal Steps and platform.
Now I have to get my lifeline!

JW87

Dec 21, 2020
Denton, NC
I got my floating d model last week. I got the size 1 and am a 34” waist. It fits good and I much prefer it to the rch and sit drag I had been using. I climb drt and srt and find it way more comfortable than the rch to climb in. It’s stiff as a board because it’s new but hope to get it well worn in before the start of the season this year. Made by edelrid out of Germany. I suspect that the new all black model will be made by a different supplier. Also long time lurker first time poster.

Reactions: 131north

Jpdarby2

SH Member
Jan 2, 2021
Texas
I hunt the SHNF down in Texas and I would say most guys hunt from a climber, I have one myself and they work great. The second most popular method is hunting from the ground in a popup or still hunting. I reason I recently purchased a saddle was because I feel like it allows me to do both of these on the same hunt with minimal gear. Trust me when I say its near impossible to effectively still hunt with a climber strapped to your back. I have a climber that is smaller and lighter than most (summit openshot @ 15lbs) and even with the XOP Tree Stand Transport System its awkward to move around while still hunting and isn't fun to pack around if there is any type of terrain. Plus my new saddle and climbing system should come in under 5lbs which makes getting around easier. That's not to say that climbers don't have their place but saddles just allow more mobility and options.

Tim0712

SH Member
Jan 18, 2021

“Saddle hunting is worst than owning a jeep” thats probably the best comparison I’ve ever heard

Camelcluch

SH Member
Oct 2, 2020
I hunted for the first time out of a saddle last year. Best move I have made. I could never get comfortable in a stand. My back was always in pain. The saddle was night and day more comfortable with sits up to 8 hours. Second, I felt like I had more freedom of movement and better shooting opportunities. Last, I think setting up is much easier and I did not have to fight my fear of heights nearly as much.

Reactions: ggorham

ggorham

Feb 3, 2021
Massachusett
“Saddle hunting is worst than owning a jeep” thats probably the best comparison I’ve ever heard
I completely agree, I've gone all the way to SRT climbing with the goal of minimalist. I have piles of equipment that I need to release at this point, lol. My last jeep project I was always wanting more and did a whole LS1 corvette motor swap. This is very much like it as your always looking for the monster solution. When they come out with a tree climber much like the stair climber gimic I'm sure I'll be all in.

Jaeckthesnake

Jan 3, 2021
Baltimore, MD
I got into saddle hunting this year and have nothing but good things to say. There are so many saddles available on the market right now that allow for customization. If you don't like how a saddle fits or how it holds you to the tree, you have several points to adjust and find what fits perfectly, or simply adjust out of boredom or ADD. I would say I have found myself shifting weight to find a comfortable seated position more in a treestand than I ever have in the saddle. There is also plenty of customization to be done through swapping parts or DIY if you're into that sort of thing. You can customize your entire setup based on what you want hanging off your belt or what you want in your bag, whetehr you want to climb with sticks (or 1 stick), or ropes, and honestly, they're just plain fun. On the days I didn't see any deer, I thouroughly enjoyed climbing the tree, hanging around, and rappelling down.

So, if those sort of things interest you, I would give saddle hunting a try.

Another bonus? The resale market for used gear seems to be booming as well. Just be mindful of climbing safety and you have very little to lose.

Reactions: joel0711 and rutjr

JC3

Mar 26, 2019
Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree.
No platform required, only a ROS, no knee pads required, no sore knees, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Schemeecho

Dec 12, 2020
Gaston, SC.
WEBSITE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9puS3MbX05H8GAT5oHAo3Q
[/QUOTE

Have you ever considered making one out of Fleece? It's a simple way to get started, plus you can see how you like it. I am using a Fleece saddle for next season. All you need to have is a rock climbing harness, the ropes for your tether, ropes for your linemans belt and rope for your bridge and a way to climb the tree. I find that the Fleece is very comfortable. But as many people will tell you A saddle is your choice for what you feel comfortable in and it's a pricy purchase. Lots of options. I will be posting my fleece set up this weekend sometime. so if you have any questions just let me know and I will answer any questions . Plus you can find a lot of info on here about Fleece saddles.