• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting

Dpitchford921

A buddy loaned me a trophy line saddle and some summit buck steps to try saddle hunting this year. I’m hunting public ground in Missouri. I made two aiders for my bottom 2 steps and I am using my third and fourth step as my platform. Any tips on hanging my pack and bow or any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are many threads on this topic with a lot of really good ideas. Search bow hanger and soak it all in.

Thank you guys. I was skeptical of hunting from a saddle not the safety side. I’ve done tree work climbing for years. But the idea of a bridge in front of me while shooting had me confused. After trying it though it feels great. Have any of you tried a Blake’s hitch or taught line hitch instead of a prusik for your tether?

Welcome to the forum!

I'm using some paracord with some loops/knots in it and daisy chaining it around the tree. I've got a "Qliplet" of amazon for hanging on my bow and some other s-clips for my bag and any other items. I think G2outdoors may have a video on youtube that I took the idea from.

any of you tried a Blake’s hitch or taught line hitch instead of a prusik for your tether?
The aero hunter saddles come with a blakes hitch. There are some other threads out there discussing other hitches as well.

I run one of these for my lanyard (lineman’s belt) on my tree climbing saddle at work I assume it would work like a ropeman 1

Attachments

• D62AFE9A-88C5-4C0B-A4D2-43795C620B20.png
    D62AFE9A-88C5-4C0B-A4D2-43795C620B20.png
    921.7 KB · Views: 13
I run one of these for my lanyard (lineman’s belt) on my tree climbing saddle at work I assume it would work like a ropeman 1
Yes. We just use the ropeman because it's smaller and lighter than all the grabs that I've seen.

Thanks guy yesterday was opening day here. The public I hunt is heavy pressure so walking at least a mile back is a must. I was lucky enough to get it done. First day of the season first hunt in the saddle. It’s safe to say I’m hooked

A buddy loaned me a trophy line saddle and some summit buck steps to try saddle hunting this year. I’m hunting public ground in Missouri. I made two aiders for my bottom 2 steps and I am using my third and fourth step as my platform. Any tips on hanging my pack and bow or any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to it all too. I got myself a big game hanging strap coming in the mail. I think it will work, yet others say I'll continue to mod my gear as time goes. I am also from Missouri. I'm in the Ozarks, between the Gasconade and the Big Piney Rivers. I hunt mostly MTNF, but I'm considering heading up along the Missouri River to hit some marshes.

I took 10' of 3 mm Paracord looped one end, attached a nite ize cam jam on the other end, and about 2" in from the looped end I double hitched a modified 5" carabinier wrapped in self adhering bandage. Simply hook the cam jam clip to the looped end pull the tag end tight and you've got a $10 bow holder that'll fit any huntable tree. You can also hang a few extra carabineers on this cord to hold backpacks, grunt calls, rattle horns, etc.

PS, I'm new to saddle hunting this year, but not new to doing just about everything DIY. Glad to be a part of this forum!

Back