• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddles-primitive backpack hunting

Zoa

Sep 25, 2019
Hey y'all!

So, for some stupid reason, most of my hunts look like this: I head out in the mountains of western NC for a week or so at a time. I bring no food and no electronics, and try and survive. Because I'm moving long distances, and carrying a decent size pack, I have never carried a stand, always ground hunting, typically with a ghillie. I heard of saddles for the first time last week, and am super excited about being able to hunt from a tree on one of these treks. I placed an order for a H2 Slingshot, Tethrd Predator, and 3 Hawk Helium sticks.

However, I don't know what I don't know. What should I be aware of before heading out into the woods? Any potential complications that y'all see? My initial concerns involve noise, I've never carried sticks before and am basically constantly still hunting so I need to be quiet. Second, my gun is five feet long, so maneuverability in the tree is a bit of a worry.

Thanks so much!

shwacker

Dec 10, 2018
I thing wrong with ground hunting. You’re adding a good bit of weight to your pack. As far as being just as quiet that shouldn’t be an issue. You shoot a traditional musket? What gun is 5 foot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
Welcome to the forum from Michigan! I agree with @shwacker , you're adding some weight and bulk with the Predator and sticks. I'd look into one-sticking or SRT to lighten the load and perhaps a ring of steps instead of the platform.

Reactions: Mengle

Mengle

Jul 14, 2017
Practice the full set up many times around the house or before it’s actually go time.

I mean the full set up.
From unpacking your sticks off your pack to hanging your bow to taking a shot at a target.
That is the best way to work out the kinks and you will probabaly have a few questions as you start to work through that.

There are plenty of good saddle setup videos on YouTube that will give you an idea of what it should look like from A to Z.

Reactions: Zoa and Red Beard

shwacker

Dec 10, 2018
I thing wrong with ground hunting. You’re adding a good bit of weight to your pack. As far as being just as quiet that shouldn’t be an issue. You shoot a traditional musket? What gun is 5 foot?

Zoa

Sep 25, 2019

Hah yeah it's a flintlock long rifle I built. It also doesn't have a sling. What do gun hunters typically do if they ain't hanging it? Just sit it on your lap and bridge?

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
You can lay guns across your bridge, no problem. Just don't stand up and forget about it not being connected. Otherwise if you're careful you could stand it up on your platform against the tree. All my guns have slings so I can hang them from my gear hanger though.

Reactions: Zoa and shwacker

shwacker

Dec 10, 2018
Meant to say nothing wrong with ground hunting, dang auto correct.

But yes, across the bridge is fine and probably what I will do most of the time

Reactions: Zoa

Zoa

Sep 25, 2019
Welcome to the forum from Michigan! I agree with @shwacker , you're adding some weight and bulk with the Predator and sticks. I'd look into one-sticking or SRT to lighten the load and perhaps a ring of steps instead of the platform.

Will do! Figured I'd give one-sticking a go, but having three gives me a backup in case I suck at it or something. Is a ring of steps significantly lighter than the Predator?

Thanks!

Zoa

Sep 25, 2019
Was also thinking about picking up some Silent Approach steps to try out.

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
Will do! Figured I'd give one-sticking a go, but having three gives me a backup in case I suck at it or something. Is a ring of steps significantly lighter than the Predator?

Thanks!
Yes, in most cases a ring of steps is lighter than most platforms. Can be as light as 1 lb 4 oz. for 4 steps and strap.