• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to the game. What’s good?

Andry534

Nov 23, 2018
Southern Indiana
So I am new to the saddle hunting game, and the website. I made do last year with a home made set up, but I’m confident it’s not nearly as good as some of the commercial stuff. So what’s the best? What do you prefer and why?

cb750

Nov 18, 2017
SWO
Welcome and hold on to your wallet.

Saddle hunting is very much a personal preference thing. There's no "best". There's a "best" for you and a "best" for me and even a "best" for ol' @Nutterbuster. Read through the Saddle Information for New Users to get an idea what's going on, then pick your way through things. I like sticks and a platform. My aerohunter evolution was best because it was what I could afford. There are some great commercially available saddle options out there 2 more just released recently. Climbing methods are definitely personal preference/whatevers legal where you hunt. There's wait times on a lot of stuff which may be an indication as to how many people like it.

If you decide ring of steps though your wrong . That and you should where crocs when posting photos that include your feet.

cb750

Nov 18, 2017
SWO
No problem, there is a lot of info. But it's hard to make recommendations due to the unique nature

cb750

Nov 18, 2017
SWO
Also not sure what your hunting grounds look like, but SRT is growing in popularity. You climb a tree with just a rope.

Silvio

May 6, 2019
Grand Blanc MI
YAHOO
silvio26@yahoo.com
So I am new to the saddle hunting game, and the website. I made do last year with a home made set up, but I’m confident it’s not nearly as good as some of the commercial stuff. So what’s the best? What do you prefer and why?
Hi Andry, cb750 has said it very well. Ill add...Look for guys close to you that can share their styles and equipment. Our plateform is the most user friendly and helpful. You have plenty of time to select equipment. I personally use a Predator plateform, squirrel steps, kestrel saddle, and WE (Wild Edge Steps) good luck and keep it safe
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

dpierce72

Jan 13, 2018
Arkansas
Welcome aboard ...great advice already posted. Lots of ways to climb, hang, strap gear, protect knees etc. Try as much as possible and let us know what works best for you!

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
If you decide ring of steps though your [sic] a man of taste, class, and excellent discernment

Seriously though, @cb750 is spot-on. It's all personal preference. Saddles are way different from "one size fits all" treestands. You're gonna spend some time tinkering with bridge length, tether height, rope size, climbing methods, platforms, etc. You won't really know what you like until you use it.

Try as much as you can, sell what you don't like.

Reactions: farwellhunter

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I would try to make one of the demo days. Even then it’s a tough call. The newer offerings are all very similar in design. It’s minor differences in shape and material that will determine if they are the right saddle for you. They all feel comfortable for a 15 minute demo. It’s around hour three before I really start having problems with pressure points etc. Long hunts for consecutive days are when you know for sure.

Reactions: TNSTAAFL

Andry534

Nov 23, 2018
Southern Indiana
Currently I’m using LW sticks, I have had them for 3 years now, they get the job done, and I have made a few modifications. Being taller with long legs helps me get all the height I would get out of a lock on, not quite as high as a climber though. So climbing isn’t much of an issue, but I am going to have to look up the SRT. The other thing I’ve seen on this website is the EZ V sight? All I’ve ever shot are traditional pin sights or by instinct. Has anyone used the EZ V? What are your thoughts?

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
Here’s most of the threads in relation with the ezv sight. It intrigues me but I can shoot 30 yards with a fixed pin and don’t have a need to shoot farther. @bowhunter15 has a video about it on his YouTube page.
I believe they have released a thinner v since his review.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ezv-set-up-tips.12224/page-4#post-224260

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ezv-sight.6432/page-8#post-210851

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ezv-sight-thumb-release.7554/page-6#post-206299

rutjr

Oct 6, 2018
Cumberland, RI
I'll tell you what I like but it's just what I like.
I have a Kestrel and a Mantis. I bought the Kestrel because I thought it was built like a tank and it is, I got the Mantis because I a lot of guy's love it and it's extremely lite. Of the two the Kestrel is my favorite because it is like has a shape and cups my butt so it doesn't move around, I even took the leg straps off because I don't feel a need for them. The Mantis is very light and because of this it's like a limp piece of mesh cloth, I like it and won't get rid of it I just prefer the Kestrel most of the time.
I have Sticks, stepps, bolts, Ladder sticks, and Lone Wolf Hand Climber Seat. To be honest I use them and like them all, they all have a time and place.
Ladder sticks are the worst to drag though the woods but once up the easiest to climb I only use these for presets..
Bolts I really like bolts because they are light, and I don't think a thieve will find them but I don't like climbing them or taking them back out of the tree and they may not be legal in some areas.
Sticks are great for that tree with limbs that you just have to use. They are up there with the laddersticks as easy to climb. Depending on what you get they can be heavy and sometime difficult to carry through the woods.
Stepps, I really like these and some times I use them for the first few steps in conjunction with sticks so I can take them out with me but I don't like to carry more than four because I feel they start getting bulkier. I don't use them for climbing otherwise.
The lone wolf climbing seat is by far my favorite. Simple, it's lite, it's quick and quiet and I like the fact that you can't climb without being attached to the tree at all times! The only issue I have is getting around limbs. I'm still working on that.

Platforms
I use Stepps, The Predator and The Lone Wolf hand climber.
Love them all but you can't beat using the Lone Wolf as a climbing method and platform.

Side note. I traded my Predator for the Mantis because I really I really love the lone wolf. I also picked up some squirrel steps that I want to experiment with on the LW for the back side of the tree.