• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to this site, and saddle to hunt with

tmattson

Hi all, new to this site and saddle system for hunting.
Have hunted for years with stands/ladders/climbers.
Really interested in giving the saddle a try. I can see it as a primary and also maybe used with current climbers (Tree Walker), have two, one never used, there just big and bulky to be honest.
I am also thinking that even if I decide I want to go back to a traditional permanent type stand (or use both depending on situation) a saddle would still be a better option to climb up and down, replacing a harness (yes?)
I used to hunt 20 plus feet, no longer have a need (or desire) for that. Actually, last year I hunted 100 percent from the ground, with some luck. But looking back having the ability to move quickly (and quietly) and only needing to get 8 - 12 feet up would have been awesome. Seeing the saddle and maybe two of my existing tree step sticks (or even some new super lite strap on steps) as a great new option.
Starting to research all of this saddle stuff, a lot of info out there.
My stature - about 5' 10", 175 pounds, slim build, 34-36 waist, in pretty good shape for 55.
Being new to this, pretty much already decided whatever I get it will be a kit.
Any advice and feedback appreciated, thanks.

I believe the topic has been debated on here before about using a saddle as a safety harness for stand hunting. The problem becomes the saddle is designed for the hunter to be facing the tree as opposed to the other way. Now if there is someone to figure out a good way to do it, its likely they will come from this site.

In terms of climbing method its definitely a personal preference thing. I'm finding I change my mind about as often as the wind changes direction. So if you get the chance to try some methods out prior to purchase that's always a good idea. Making your own is also a possibility. Two step sticks around 22 inches long with double steps is a popular option. If all you want is 12 feet.. three would be more than adequate and then carry an aider to go higher if the need arises.
Checkout the saddle information for new users section. It is chock full of info.

Back